94 4l60e- 98 4l60e conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
So I have a 2wd 4l60e with bad 3/4 clutch pack's I've had some weird stuff going on with my 4l60e in my 98 Z71. I've wanted to rebuild a 4l60e for long time I've bin watching Transmission bench videos he's very detailed I 100% certain I can do this. Can I just swap out the in/out put shaft out for a 4wd one get a 4wd rear housing then just swap the internal wirring harness and shift solenoids. I was to build this trans as a spair as I know my 98 has 350+ km on its original 4l60e and every once in a while it hickups.

Roadrunner

Reaction score
For the most part everything swaps around fairly easily. There are a number of differences between 94 and 98 though. Off the top of my head the 98 got a 2 piece case and larger input shaft. Where your going to run into problems is the 94 does not have pwm torque converter lock up. I think the valve body and pump are different for the early models. I cant remember for sure or not if you can use the 98 cases with the 94 valve body and pump but I dont think so. The tail shaft and 4wd adapter is a straight forward swap.

If I have to do it again on my truck I will be going with a 4l80e next time around for sure. The build itself was fairly easy. Inspecting and cleaning the parts up on the other hand was terrible. Also be ready to buy/make and number of specialty tools. Transmission fixture, clutch spring compressor, teflon seal installer/resize tool, various bushing/seal drivers ect.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
For the most part everything swaps around fairly easily. There are a number of differences between 94 and 98 though. Off the top of my head the 98 got a 2 piece case and larger input shaft. Where your going to run into problems is the 94 does not have pwm torque converter lock up. I think the valve body and pump are different for the early models. I cant remember for sure or not if you can use the 98 cases with the 94 valve body and pump but I dont think so. The tail shaft and 4wd adapter is a straight forward swap.

If I have to do it again on my truck I will be going with a 4l80e next time around for sure. The build itself was fairly easy. Inspecting and cleaning the parts up on the other hand was terrible. Also be ready to buy/make and number of specialty tools. Transmission fixture, clutch spring compressor, teflon seal installer/resize tool, various bushing/seal drivers ect.
I like my 4l60e's I think I'm gonna make a wanted add for a blown 98 4l60e or for whatever other year is compatible. At some point I want to build up a 4l60e full of Sonnax parts just cause I feel like it they seem like a easy transmission to work on parts are fairly cheap and we'll I've had great luck with them and my truck has a 4l60 so I would like to learn how to rebuild them and work on them. Though I have a very good transmission guy in Saskatoon he's bin in buisness for like 45 years and told me $1500 (transmission removed by me) and he would freshin my 4l60 up and beef it up a bit with a three year warranty so I'm wondering if I should even bother building my own transmission. I watch alot of transmission rebuild video's and rebuilding automatic transmissions is something I'm interested in I'm willing too buy the tools I figured 4l60e's would be a good starting point to learn from I would then like too start working on Alison automatics.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
This is something I'm looking at doing pretty soon too. Anyone know if a 4L60e from a 96 will direct fit into a 94 body? engine from the 96 will be moving to the 94 as well

Roadrunner

Reaction score
It will fit but your going to need to use the computer and wiring harness for the 96.

Yuta

Reaction score
From what I understand 93 & 94 are one off years and don't swap with the other years. I have a 93 and was lucky to find another 93. I happen to own the GM factory shop manuals for the 4L60 & 4L60e and have watched a ton of videos and still will get a trany guy to do It. There are some 93/94's at Amigos last time I looked. I'm in Saskatoon. Who's your trans guy in Saskatoon?