93 tbi alternator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i have researched on here but alot of what im seeing is 95 up, not much on the 88-94
95 should be the same as 88-94. 96 is when they swapped sides and changed the alt. FWIW I am running powermaster 140's on both of my 95's and have had no issues. Just giving you some more options on choices. I'll have to do some digging and can post the part numbers if you interested.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Powermaster is way out of my budget. Saw those early on. Also, what i meant by 95 up was mostly everything I found was the electronic / obd2.. Onl6 mentioned 95 up as thats how most listings are on websites. even tho the 95 is tbi, the dash swap makes other websites include the 95 in descriptions

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pre-96 driver's side alternators: Wasn't there some concern about the ALT/PS mounting bracket and the GM OE alternator braces? I seem to remember the braces ought to be retained (or suitable replacements fabricated) for any ALT upgrade, out of concern for breaking of that cheap cast(?) ALT/PS bracket if the OE ALT braces were removed...

- possibly a concern on a truck that gets bounced around a lot, e.g., 4x4.

- possibly a concern for the AC clutch cycling which loads the alternator pulley (and which is not the case for the 96+), e.g., start-up shock load and running load

- possibly the brace from the ALT to the exhaust manifold bolt provided an improved ground path for the ALT current, i.e., instead of through the ALT/PS bracket.

I seem to remember there was an OE brace b/t the ALT and the front bolt on the D-side exhaust manifold.

I'm also thinking there was an OE brace from the back of the ALT to the intake manifold.

Finally the ALT bolts to the bracket on the engine (the bracket shared with PS).

Random thoughts on this Monday night.

Last edited:

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found a 200amp hairpin (?) here locally for 175$ . The other place had several high ends for 300+++. Both places said ad244 is just abiut imposible to find down here in our area. The cs130s when they do have them are rebuilds from cores. but didnt have any rite now.

can one of You explain hairpin ? Also.. guy was asking me if it was 6 12 positio or offset… im lost rite now On what all i can use.

like i said, for simplicity / easier to get parts later. I dont mind changing pulleys, upgrading bolts, etc.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found a 200amp hairpin (?) here locally for 175$ . The other place had several high ends for 300+++. Both places said ad244 is just abiut imposible to find down here in our area. The cs130s when they do have them are rebuilds from cores. but didnt have any rite now.

can one of You explain hairpin ? Also.. guy was asking me if it was 6 12 positio or offset… im lost rite now On what all i can use.

like i said, for simplicity / easier to get parts later. I dont mind changing pulleys, upgrading bolts, etc.
a stock ad244 is not hard to find, you just need to find a stock truck which came with 140amp charging system 1999+
If you have a normal truck, you should use a normal alternator.
A cs144 tricked out to , say, 300 amps will die quicker than a ad244 tricked out to 300.
But a cs144 with a remote rectifier will last longer than a stock ad244.
But if you dont need a tricked out power house of an alt, a stock replacement ad244 can be bought on rockauto from ac delco for a 140amp (KG9 is a possible RPO for it) truck. 1999+
I say 1999+ because thats when AD244 was released, a truck may have not came with them until like 2002 or so, so keep that in mind. A CS144 has an external fan like a 12si kinda. A CS130D and AD230 are damn near identical looking, but there are differences(the AD should say Delphi Automotive Systems... but that can be found on cs130d..) the rear rectifier is better on a ad230. But the ad230 is a 105 amp alternator.

The AD244, thankfully, is distinct from a CS144 because of the design. then distinct from CS130D and AD230 because of the size. The plug is 4 pin oval.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. What is meant by hairpin style ? A 140 amp is really all i need, as my only extra draw on the truck is the winch & a 20” light bar, and 2 led strips in the bed. im not into sound at all. Audio has never been my thing.

but if the 200 amp is basically same price im of course gona get that.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@AuroraGirl . Im having terrible luck with cs130d from rock auto. On my second one bad internal regulator.

So im just gona get a stock 145 amp ad244. I bought a new serpentine already when I bought first alt.

Will this belt fit the ad244 (note it is about 1/4 - 1/2 “ longer than factory)

Attachments

• 87180B38-1B42-4229-945E-8D44621A60E9.png
    87180B38-1B42-4229-945E-8D44621A60E9.png
    498.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 4BD6CC7B-3BE5-406E-AFE9-E2EE5D31F01C.png
    4BD6CC7B-3BE5-406E-AFE9-E2EE5D31F01C.png
    504.8 KB · Views: 2

tercolhan

Reaction score
Pre-96 driver's side alternators: Wasn't there some concern about the ALT/PS mounting bracket and the GM OE alternator braces? I seem to remember the braces ought to be retained (or suitable replacements fabricated) for any ALT upgrade, out of concern for breaking of that cheap cast(?) ALT/PS bracket if the OE ALT braces were removed...

- possibly a concern on a truck that gets bounced around a lot, e.g., 4x4.

- possibly a concern for the AC clutch cycling which loads the alternator pulley (and which is not the case for the 96+), e.g., start-up shock load and running load

- possibly the brace from the ALT to the exhaust manifold bolt provided an improved ground path for the ALT current, i.e., instead of through the ALT/PS bracket.

I seem to remember there was an OE brace b/t the ALT and the front bolt on the D-side exhaust manifold.

I'm also thinking there was an OE brace from the back of the ALT to the intake manifold.

Finally the ALT bolts to the bracket on the engine (the bracket shared with PS).

Random thoughts on this Monday night.
I defininitely had issues on my 91 7.4L R2500 Suburban. The alt/ps bracket was stamped steel and eventually cracked bady enough to start throwing the serp'.
I fixed it by upgrading all the front end stuff to the gen 6 setup.
The alternator swap was no big deal, biggest hassle was the a/c lines but I bought a a/c line crimper and modified my original hoses to fit the later setup.