93 Suburban restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picking up my 4th Suburban this week! After life had it's way of changing course for me, I am back on the northeast.
This is going to be my first tbi truck, with my other ones being Vortec, as well as the older style interior, which i actually really like.

I drove out to see it last week, took it on a test drive. It has a little over 137k on it, and drove great, however i noticed a very firm gas pedal which was difficult to push which needs to be addressed, along with a small power steering leak.
Over the course of the winter, I will be fixing up the interior, and adding small things to improve it such as led lighting, upgraded sound system and flip out double din unit. I will undercoat the frame, as well as replacing the rear bumper.
Major thing it really needs is paint. And, the wheels and tires are going to be changed out for BFG All terrains and some chrome mickey thompson wheels most likely.
You must be registered for see images attach

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, shes home! Tomorrow or Saturday i will start to get it cleaned up and start making a list of what needs to be done. Already see it needs some stuff on the dash taken care of, and both door panels need to be replaced.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vaccuumed out the whole interior. Underneath all the goldfish, crackers, pringles and dog hair, the carpet is in great shape, except for one spot where some paint was spilled. I need to figure out how to get it cleaned up.
I found a 12 disc cd changer under the passenger seat with the internals missing, so i'll have to remove that since i don't need it, or care to fix it.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Right on! it looks like there isn't much rust which is great for a truck from the north east. I guess you are removing the existing paint and then re-paint?

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right on! it looks like there isn't much rust which is great for a truck from the north east. I guess you are removing the existing paint and then re-paint?
The rust is very minimal for the year, with the rear being a little more crusty than the front. The plan is to repaint the frame this coming spring and re-paint the body the same colors, however that is more long term as it gets expensive.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone must have installed air bags at one point. Nice!

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found a suprise spot that had rotted by where the frame goes from boxed to c- channel.
The frame is now my #1 priority for the next few days. I see a frame swap coming in the future, but for now I am going to be grinding, sanding and rust proofing the rest of the frame, so i can keep other spots from rusting.
The frame seems alright everywhere else, but I don't know for sure untill I start getting into it.
I'm going to source some 1/4" steel and have it welded in for support once I have the area cleaned up.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So given that spot in the frame needs attention, I think my plans for this truck are going to change. Instead of re-painting the truck to original colors, I am going to do a flat tan paint job like I did on my 96.

Will do black wheels and continue with the interior upgrades. Then i will use it as a work/hauling truck untill I can find a 92-94 suburban with a mint frame for restoring.

IF....

The frame is looked at once i clean it up and turns out good. If the rest of the frame is good, i will do original paint.

I did order a new headlight switch and middle section where the aftermarket radio is in the middle. I am going to remove the radio and put this where the original radio was
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068SANTACR/RetroSound-Santa-Cruz-M4.html

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the middle section in, now I just need to fill that. I've seen some people put color matching pockets in there, just need to locate one now.