93 4x4 LS Motor Mount Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

archym

Reaction score
I've purchased both Moroso and Dirty Dingo motor mounts to fit a 1999 5.3 into a 1993 4x4. Neither of these mounts comes even close to getting the engine into a position where it's getting remotely near the stock position of the transmission. I've been assured by both Moroso and Dirty Dingo that these engine mounts are good to place a LS style engine into the stock frame motor mounts with no modification. The 2" gap in between the transmission and the back of the engine says different. Has any one else had similar problems?

It is possible to move the transmission forward if you don't want it's stock mounting holes to match up to the cross members and you want to alter the extension dimensions of the drive shafts. However, I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this if the engine mounts are supposed to place an LS style engine in the "Stock" position.

1993 GMT400 4x4, originally with a 350/5.7 TBI and stock 4L60E.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Just a question as I don't have any experience with this swap but, is it possible to have the mounts switched left for right and vise versa?

archym

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've checked with the part number on the mounts and confirmed with Dirty Dingo that the mounts they have shipped are indeed for a 4x4 truck. (Part # DD-2575) In response to evilunclegrimace , there might be a way to install them upside-down and reversed, but they would never line up with the frame mounts if that were done. Also, they are clearly marked D for Driver's Side and P for Passenger side. I've lifted the engine up out of the cradle again to make sure the mounts are in the farthest rear-ward position, dropped the engine back down, and the same problem exists: The back of the engine is a clear 1" away from where the transmission sits in it's stock cross-member mounted position. According to Dirty Dingo, these mounts should allow for 1/2" of "forward" positioning of the block mounts to hit the original position. And I have the block mounts pushed all the way back and I'm looking at an easy 1" gap between the back of the block and the front of the bell housing of the transmission. I called and talked to "Tony" at Dirty Dingo about an hour ago, texted him the pictures I have, and I'm awaiting their response. I'll let the Forums know what they say.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That really sucks, I wish I could be of help. I've heard lots of good things about dirty dingo mounts, hopefully they can come up with some answers.

archym

Reaction score
I worked with them today. It was a misunderstanding of directions, literally. Once tony and I got on the same page I was able to get the engine slid back to the transmission. Engine and transmission are all bolted together. Now comes finding what the heck I did with the new transmission cross-member spacer and the daunting task of mating the LS Wiring Harness to the stock wiring harness so that I can use all of the stock gauges and switches in the dash. I'll eventually get all the pictures off my phone and start a build thread. Thanks to all who have replied.