93 4l60E (probably electrical) Problem with shifting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you put a 0-300 Psi pressure gauge on? you can get one from a hydraulic hose supply place, along with 8 feet of hose. there are many internal seals that could have been disturbed while reinstalling the pump (2 on the stator and 4 on the input shaft). when you reassembled the pump did you do it with the input shaft pointing to the sky or with the transmission laying horizontal.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Checked F13, Results pretty much identical to F12.

I DID plug the trans plug back in for this test. I DID NOT have it in for the previous one. It shifted only once this time. Which allowed it to "idle" at almost 18mph. Not sure which gear that is, but..

Also.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 4

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No pressure gauge. I can get one monday.

Pump wouldn't even start horizontal, so I stood it up. I did check the teflon seals before I slid it in, but stuff happens.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I attached two LED's with resistors to the connector at
E9 (Shift Solenoid A, Light Green) Left side in video.
E8 (Shift Solenoid B, Yellow with Black stripe) Right side in video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

End result, it appears the ECM is commanding correctly, the trans is either not receiving, or ignoring commands. It looks like it's only on one solenoid, but dang it's easy to mix up which is which, and on or off, with power or ground signal. I think a continuity check is in order.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It probably has nothing to do with your problem but converter lockup is also controlled by the brake light switch.
You might want to check that just to eliminate it from your diagnosis.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you have 1st and 3rd, i wonder if there is something wrong with 2nd gear. maybe internal oil leak or band burned though I would think you would feel it slipping... i will have to have a think about this one, but definitely get a pressure gauge.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad you're stumped too. I've been fighting this mess for MONTHS now.

O.K., mostly the torque converter leak, but still.

When it shifts, it shifts firmly and I've experienced nothing that feels like slippage.

I'm headed off now, but will try for a pressure check tommorrow. I live way way out in the sticks though. Will have to see what I can find.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got going too late to hit the hardware store for a gauge. Decided to pull pan and run continuity checks.

Solenoid A, green wire, is good all the way.
Solenoid B, goes dead at the main harness connector. The wiring harness (external) is good, but I couldn't get continuity from the pin in the case wiring harness connector to the solenoid connector. BUT, if you wiggle it a little, it kinda jittery connects.

Clearly I need to replace it. This brings up a second question. I don't exactly remember where I got this harness, may have been transtar. BUT, all the insulation on the wiring has cracked. I was quite suprised. It's not falling off yet, but c'mon, it's barely broke in. Between that and the pin connection failing, I want a top quality replacement. Any suggestions? I can find a bunch of generics, and a ATP on amazon. Thoughts?

EDIT*
Looks like my old one was a off brand replacement (phoenix) that I got off amazon. And they're no longer available, wonder why, hmmm???
The only name brand one I can find is an ATP CE-8. As soon as I can recharge the 'ol checking account, I'm going to order unless anyone has a better idea.

Last edited:

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at rockauto earlier, but couldn't find. For some reason they're under electrical connectors instead of transmission parts.

Fun fact. ATP and Rostra have the exact same manufacturer's image. Which proably means Rostra makes it and ATP marks it up and resells it. Probably, maybe.