93 454ss 4l85e swap info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wgrainy619

Reaction score
And obs single cab guys have any info on 4l85e swap?

4l60e cant keep up. Im planning on swapping 4l85e in if case fits in the tunnel. Truck is too clean to cut up. 4l60e is too weak to keep rebuilding.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have an authentic 454SS? Those came with the TH400 or 4L80e on '91+, NOT with a 4L60e.

Or you swapped a 454 into a RCSB and slapped some "454 SS" stickers on the side of the bed? Or you just added the stickers, LOL?

To answer your question and assuming you have a 4L60e: Yes a 4L85e will work (no cutting trans tunnel,) just as a 4L80e did. Those 2 are external physically and electrically the same, with the former obviously able to hold more power. Lots of information on the swap on the internet...

Or are you asking about a 4L65e?

Wgrainy619

Reaction score
You have an authentic 454SS? Those came with the TH400 or 4L80e on '91+, NOT with a 4L60e.

Or you swapped a 454 into a RCSB and slapped some "454 SS" stickers on the side of the bed? Or you just added the stickers, LOL?

To answer your question and assuming you have a 4L60e: Yes a 4L85e will work (no cutting trans tunnel,) just as a 4L80e did. Those 2 are external physically and electrically the same, with the former obviously able to hold more power. Lots of information on the swap on the internet...

Or are you asking about a 4L65e?
Its a 80. So i guess the question is, whats the best way to beef up the 80 to hold at least 500 tq. Or is 85 better route

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your 4L80E will hold 500HP already with no mods. You may need a different torque converter depending on what you're trying to do but people have run 1000+HP through stock 80Es with nothing but a shift kit.

Wgrainy619

Reaction score
Your 4L80E will hold 500HP already with no mods. You may need a different torque converter depending on what you're trying to do but people have run 1000+HP through stock 80Es with nothing but a shift kit.
Thats good news. Rebuild and i should be good to go then

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A square body 454 SS?

Lot's of information out there on what a stock 4L80e will handle, but consensus seems to be 500HP w/o problems. The actual ratings were measured at 440 lb ft. for the 80e and 690 lb ft for 85e. The problem is the 85e only saw a limited number of vehicles and made for a few years, so most likely way easier to source a 80e. If you look around some say 4L80e early models are better (can't remember why?) and others say later ones are better because of revised oiling system. I think for your power goals, either will be okay. Do your research.

It sounds like you are already running a Vortec or LS engine? Is your current tranny controlled by the computer? Is this a street truck? The legendary TH400 (which is like the "daddy" of the 4L80e) is another option that can actually take even more power and doesn't have the electronics if you go with like carb setup. TH400 was the tranny used on the heavier square body's BTW. It's also lighter than an 80e so that helps if you are doing track times. But doesn't have OD...

Good luck.

Last edited:

Wgrainy619

Reaction score
A square body 454 SS?

Lot's of information out there on what a stock 4L80e will handle, but consensus seems to be 500HP w/o problems. The actual ratings were measured at 440 lb ft. for the 80e and 690 lb ft for 85e. The problem is the 85e only saw a limited number of vehicles and made for a few years, so most likely way easier to source a 80e. If you look around some say 4L80e early models are better (can't remember why?) and others say later ones are better because of revised oiling system. I think for your power goals, either will be okay. Do your research.

It sounds like you are already running a Vortec or LS engine? Is your current tranny controlled by the computer? Is this a street truck? The legendary TH400 (which is like the "daddy" of the 4L80e) is another option that can actually take even more power and doesn't have the electronics if you go with like carb setup. TH400 was the tranny used on the heavier square body's BTW. It's also lighter than an 80e so that helps if you are doing track times. But doesn't have OD...

Good luck.

Thanks for this info. Yeah its the stock 454 in it. Has zero power. I came up on a 502 short block. Going to spec some heads and cam to get it at least upper 500s hp/tq.

I lost overdrive shredding my tires so im going to do the trans same time. Wont get tracked too much. Possibly 1/8th mile every once in a while.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool. So a carb setup? A 4L80e requires some stand-alone controller. They are a bit pricey (the controller,) I think.

A TH400 would be a direct swap. Basically, a stock setup as if your truck was like a C20, etc.

Edit: I just realized you said you were running a 4L60e with a stock 454???? Huh?

Not sure how you are running, that setup. Maybe more importantly is WHY are running that setup?

Last edited: