93 3500 Regular Cab - 502/Accel-Ram Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m no engineer, but I’ve done a couple different TBI and TPI swaps in my ‘87 S10. As far as EFI goes, these systems are pretty simple.

If I remember correctly, the PCM that came in that truck was pretty decent, given the times. It must still be in use somehow if you’re running a 4L80E. I think it was the ‘427 Red/Blue connector PCM.

Tuning for these antiquated electronics was easy using TunerProRT. Not sure if that’s even a thing anymore as it’s been the better part of a decade since I’ve messed with any of it.

Another great resource to look into is 3rdGen.org. Those guys have some pretty wicked Fbodies of the same vintage. One user in particular went by the handle Fast355. I suspect he is on this forum as L31MaxExpress. If it’s the same guy, he offered tons of info.

My personal opinion is that old stuff is cool ****, and I wouldn’t get rid of it just yet.

Thank you for the info, I'll look around on the internet too see if
TunerProRT is still available somewhere.
This my 'Electronics Control Module', I've attached two photos below:*
I haven't found my PCM yet. Not many people have pointed out to me that a 4L80E would have it's own computer.
Thanks for providing all that insight!
I have to endure a lot of discouragement from other people in regards to this car, so I really appreciate all of this!

If I run into a wall over on the Gearheads-EFI forum, I will look on the forums you suggested, thank you for that,

Lastly, there is truth in what you say about ' older' technogology still being cool and in my opinion it also has consideraly more 'character'

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The TunerPro software is available at Moates.net. Be advised that you will need to purchase some hardware to tune. You will need a diagnostic cable, a PROM adapter, and I bought his emulator. It allowed for on the fly tuning.

I would start with the basics. Check for fuel and spark, then go from there. You can get a fuel pressure test kit from AutoZone, through their loan a tool program. I don’t know the exact requirements, but you should probably have a minimum of 40-50psi.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another great resource to look into is 3rdGen.org. Those guys have some pretty wicked Fbodies of the same vintage. One user in particular went by the handle Fast355. I suspect he is on this forum as L31MaxExpress. If it’s the same guy, he offered tons of info.

My personal opinion is that old stuff is cool ****, and I wouldn’t get rid of it just yet.

@L31MaxExpress just to tag him in case there is anything he can add. I would really like to see this thing work as it is intended.

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TunerPro software is available at Moates.net. Be advised that you will need to purchase some hardware to tune. You will need a diagnostic cable, a PROM adapter, and I bought his emulator. It allowed for on the fly tuning.

I would start with the basics. Check for fuel and spark, then go from there. You can get a fuel pressure test kit from AutoZone, through their loan a tool program. I don’t know the exact requirements, but you should probably have a minimum of 40-50psi.

Thank you this seems like sound advice, I'll look into purchasing these. I take I won't need an expensive diagnostic system if I buy this software as well as the emulator from Moates?
Thanks again.

Edit:
I've got a spare pressure gauge, I'll look into to what the tool looks like and try and make one myself.

Last edited:

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides this, I've recently been away. This is why I've been inactive. Does anyone know where the PCM module for the 4L80E could be located on this truck?
Thank you all for your support despite my absence!

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t know how much diagnostic work you’ve done yet, but for your initial description leads me to think fuel delivery issues. I’d be looking into checking injectors for pulse, and fuel pressure.
Injection has been checked for fuel, pressure seemed to be sufficient but I did not measure it precisely with a gauge.
I'm currently looking into getting a diagnostic 'rig', starting with the right cable.
I'm looking for a GM 12-pin to USB.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Injection has been checked for fuel, pressure seemed to be sufficient but I did not measure it precisely with a gauge.
I'm currently looking into getting a diagnostic 'rig', starting with the right cable.
I'm looking for a GM 12-pin to USB.
You may want to find a gauge just to be sure, there can be pressure but not enough to have the fuel delivered that the computer expects for a given pulse width. It'll still run down a bunch on pressure, but there is a limit to all things. Anything much more than 25 or 30 % below spec would probably be enough to cause starting issues. Just ballparking here though.

Loydw

Reaction score
I have a 94 GMC, the pcm is to the right inside the glove box. there is not an independent controller for the tyranny, stock anyway. the tunerpro is free on -line and the gm port to USB is available from moates as stated. that smaller white box to the left is the vss device

Loydw

Reaction score
after looking at the photos it appears you have some type PCM either replacing the stock one or piggybacked to it, good luck and Find DaveW over at gearhead efi. He is great on this old stuff

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding an adapter, I have plenty of pressure gauges, I'm sure I have one for liquids as well. I just need to either fashion one myself or order a pressure gauge kit.
I also have a vehicle inspection date which I'll have to postpone if possible.
Considering I have no experience rebuilding engines I'm hesitant to even go as far as removing the rocket cover. Still I'm considering buying an inexpensive engine crane and pulling out the engine.
Mainly because I don't want to spend endless amounts on mechanic bills later on, if anyone thinks this is unwise please let me know.

P.S.
Does anyone on this thread happen to have experience with root superchargers?