93 3500 Regular Cab - 502/Accel-Ram Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: I've previously stated the truck came with a 502 Ram-Jet. This was a newbie mistake of me and it's an Accel DFI not a Ram-Jet. Note however that this Accel is also called/labeled "RAM" which is what caused the confusion to begin with.

So to begin my build thread I'd like to clarify that I more or less stumbled upon this truck. Prior to owning this truck I had no experience actually working on cars, despite having been interested in automotive engineering for most of my teenage-years.

I had to figure out what I was looking at as I went along. I tried to get the car running and moving to the best of my ability, simultaneously trying to 'google before breaking' things.

I got the engine running after helping it out with a little starter fluid and gently feeding it gas by pressing the pedal seeing as she wouldn't idle by herself. I figured out how the low-gear box selector works (more or less) and put the car into 'drive & 2HI' then later 'drive & 4LO'. The truck rolled into motion it'd only crawl/limp at about 2-5 MPH. When having to drive up small but steady slopes she refuses. There was a clear lack of power at the wheels.

My conclusion is that the transmission is severely damaged. I'd read a 4L60 diagnostic sheet and this mentioned a forward-sprag. The symptoms of this common failure sounded similar to mine. I overlooked the fact that the transmission in my truck is a 4L80e instead. I believe these transmissions don't have a forward sprag. But I imagine the failure is somewhat similar. It seems as if the transmission works to a certain extent allowing the car to roll when powered but lacking any serious torque/drive to the wheels.

Besides the serious drive-train issue. (Which I believe I can tend to myself, with the aid of a video-tutorial I still have to buy).
There's the issue that the ECM is proving to be. The truck has a PROM type ECM/Digital Fuel Injection Module that dates back to '87 various technicians I've spoken to. I've also contacted individuals that still service older EFI's but nobody seems to be familiar with Accel DFI's from the 80's (No surprise :p).
I was also told that I'd need a 386 type computer (A computer from the 80's) to run the diagnostic software that's compatible with this ECM. Considering the rarity of mint micro-computers from the 80'ies and the unlikely chance that i'll find the software needed for the diagnosis, I concluded I'm going to have to buy a new ECM.
My supercharger however is in fine condition, so it's an utter shame to dispose of it simply because the ECM is outdated/ no longer supported.

People have suggested Holley EFI's for 502's. Does anyone know of a 502/ 8.0l V8 ECM. I've considered swapping out the 'Super' for a Carb but I have no experience with American cars and I'm not sure how well this would merge with the electronics that regulate the rest of the car.

To make matters more complicated, the car seems to have previously had Dry Sump Oil system installed. The only remnants that I can spot of this 'fancy' piece of tech is one aftermarket oil-canister & a scavenge-pump. The large Oil Tank (not the one under the car, but the one under the hood) along with the main Oil Tank have been removed (Presumably the previous owner took them off because they're worth a considerable amount)

Below you'll find some pictures that I took: I've marked some 'mystery-wires' with purple & silver tape. If you have any input on any of the photos, it'd be much appreciated! Thank you all for showing an interest!

You must be registered for see images attach

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a picture of the dry sump oil canister, that I tried to embed but to no avail.
Here are some pictures I've taken on my phone:

Engine Bay

This is a dry sump oil canister that's hooked up to itself and nothing else.

These are the tubes that went into either the four stage pump or the larger pressurized oil tank, if I'm not mistaken.

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to take out the aftermarket oil system as well as the outdated supercharger.
Is there anyone on the forum who knows how to install a manual carb without causing errors within the electronic system?

Last edited:

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll post some photos of the pristine interior, if people are interested in seeing that.
Better engine-bay pictures will also be posted but not until I've resolved the issues I mentioned earlier...

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait, so there's a supercharger? I'm not sure I'd just give up on it and the setup. Someone here has to know what to do with this older tech.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree, this setup is too cool to give up on unless you absolutely have to. I would try making an account over on the Gearhead EFI forums. Seems like there are more people over there who are intimately familiar with older PCMs and tuning software.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, this setup is too cool to give up on unless you absolutely have to. I would try making an account over on the Gearhead EFI forums. Seems like there are more people over there who are intimately familiar with older PCMs and tuning software.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/

Thanks for the tip, I've made an account there with the same nickname. I've spoken to a few of the OBD, EFI and Marine EFI guys. They told me that my computer is a PROM type and that it dates back to the late 80'ies/ early 90'ies. I'll try my luck on the EFI forum however.
Thanks again!

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m no engineer, but I’ve done a couple different TBI and TPI swaps in my ‘87 S10. As far as EFI goes, these systems are pretty simple.

If I remember correctly, the PCM that came in that truck was pretty decent, given the times. It must still be in use somehow if you’re running a 4L80E. I think it was the ‘427 Red/Blue connector PCM.

Tuning for these antiquated electronics was easy using TunerProRT. Not sure if that’s even a thing anymore as it’s been the better part of a decade since I’ve messed with any of it.

Another great resource to look into is 3rdGen.org. Those guys have some pretty wicked Fbodies of the same vintage. One user in particular went by the handle Fast355. I suspect he is on this forum as L31MaxExpress. If it’s the same guy, he offered tons of info.

My personal opinion is that old stuff is cool ****, and I wouldn’t get rid of it just yet.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t know how much diagnostic work you’ve done yet, but for your initial description leads me to think fuel delivery issues. I’d be looking into checking injectors for pulse, and fuel pressure.