93 2wd suburban front brake locking up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a 93 c1500 suburban recently, and when I got it, the front left brake was locking up really bad.
I took the wheel off, and I instantly realized why. The pad was completely worn, and mostly worm threw the metal backer. The rotor was toast, all the way worn threw.
Luckily I had a 93 parts truck, so I installed a new/used rotor, new/used caliper, new pads, and bleed it. Figured that'd solve it, but nope. Still locking up really bad, just like it was.
It rolls freely until you step on the brakes then its locked. Then if you crack the bleeder, they free right up.
The caliper is fine, used the drive the truck were on, always worked. And they go in and out no problem when collapsing the caliper. Master cyl is full of fresh fluid, and the other 3 brakes work as they should.

It acts as if theres a one way valve in the line.
Could it be the line possibly? When bleeding it pumps threw freely though.

Any thoughts?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Your flexible brake hose is bad. They collapse internally and then the brakes act exactly like the problem you're having. Replace both sides if you plan on driving this truck much.
I had this happen to me several years ago,on my 99 Suburban. Locked the right front caliper up,wore the pads and rotor, and caught it on fire. I don't like seeing my Burb on a wrecker!
I was told by a few mechanic friends what the issue likely was, but they suggested since the calipers were original, to replace them too. I replaced the hoses, calipers and pads, and no more lockup.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider getting braided stainless steel replacement hoses.
For a daily driver, I'd get the rubber hose. If you do decide to go braided pay strict attention to how the hose mounts and make sure it's secured away from the tire. If it gets loose and rubs, you'll blow out your tire within feet, not miles.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fixed, works perfectly now.
The old one was totally blocked solid, new one was clear as a bell. Had like 3 passenger side lines, but no drivers side, but I made it work.

Went to take it for a test drive, one tire was flat and one tire was pudgy, so I went to fill it, touched the stem, and it fell off. Tire went flat nearly instantly. Then I had to find a set of tires for it.

Long story short, works fine now. Finally goes down the road perfectly. Good power and it brakes straight and goes straight now. Thanks everyone.