92 Truck+Camper Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next round of maintenance (issues):

The truck had a hot stall condition and died at a red light one summers day. At the time, I was less mechanically experienced so had the truck towed to a shop. Ended up being thee ol' ICM failure. The shop replaced the ICM, distributor cap and rotor. Issue fixed....for now...more to come later.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next up:

TB rebuild, thanks to over tighting one of the TB bolts, shearing it off in the process. It actually ended up being a great mistake in the end. Got lots more maintenance done:

AC delco TBI rebuild kit and new bolt. Sourcing a new bolt was a mission in itself.
Did some of the 'ultimate TBI mods' while i was in there. More out of curiosity than anything.
AC delco spark plug wires. Plugs were fouled on two cylinders.
NGK-G Power plugs. Gapped to spec 0.035".
PCV hose and fixed vacuum leaks.
Junk yard EVAP canister to replace the cracked one.
New IAC connector to replace broken one.
Cleaned IAC valve.
Cleaned air filter with compressed air.

Drivability improved after all of this and i picked up another MPG. From a whopping 8 to 9 MPG on average. She was dirty, before photo. No after shot sorry!
You must be registered for see images attach

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No doubt. This thing is in need of some serious engine overhaul work. Focusing on getting it safe first, brakes, steering, suspension etc. In the meantime, ill keep smiling and driving it until it breaks. I've got it to the point now where it is mechanically reliable enough to take out and not worry about it.

Since then, I've picked up another massive 1mpg, averaging 10mpg or +/-23L/100kms. God, now Im converting metric to imperial for you folks down there. No worries, its better to compare apples to apples anyway! Oh yeah, and this is loaded up with da camper, mixed city/highway driving.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next Up: Intake Manifold Gasket + heaps more 'while I'm in there' stuff.

- New intake gasket-felpro
- New grade 8 hardware
- Cleaned intake manifold
- Painted various brackets & air cleaner
- Cleaned up engine bay grounds, replaced exhaust manifold to frame & block to firewall grounds w' 2ga, new block to frame grounding strap.
- New EGR valve - thought this would fix my code 32...
- New rad, went back to HD-Spectra CU624 c/w trans & oil coolers. PO had a little 28"er on there, no good for lugging camper around! The coolant leaks didn't help either.
- New thermostat housing & dizzy gasket-felpro
- Heater hose quick connect delete-new brass NPT nipple c/w new dorman quick connect fitting internals to restrict flow to factory spec.
- New TB gasket-AC Del.
- New IAC valve-old one i cleaned was a bit sticky.
- New valve cover gaskets-felpro.
- Reset timing to 0* TDC, PO had it at 2*.
- Tested ignition coil and plug wires. I was (still) having a hot stall problem. Coil tested ok but post was damaged... left for now.
-Cleaned spark plugs, two cyljnders show fouling. No surprize. Reinstalled for now.

There's probably some other small stuff i missed, this was back in 2019...

She run ALOT better after this, overheating issues went away, i could now WOT up steep grades in the middle of summer without having to blast the heat on full. What a luxury!

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and we did new KYB Monomax shocks all round. Day/night difference in ride quality & handling. The OG shocks were wayyy gone, once we had them out, a couple collapsed under hand pressure, sketchy.

Recommend the KYBs for anyone looking for high quality & cost effectiveness. Made in Japan the box said.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Around this time, the truck serp. belt would squeak sometimes. Thought it was the tensioner or old belt. Nope, the entire accessory bracket was crooked!! Like alot. Turns out, it was holding on by ONE bolt, the others had either sheared off or come loose & fallen out over time. Too add to the cluster F, where the one bolt was still in place, the bracket was cracked. Somehow i managed to avoid a full catastrophe. It would been hilarious in a way. So add that to the list, new drivers side accessory bracket-from the boneyard.