92 tbi 454 stuttering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92k2500454

Reaction score
Hi y’all, new here bud I picked up a 1992 k2500 with a 454 in it about 5 months ago. Usually I just drive it around town but today I had to do a 30 mile highway drive. It started to stutter on highway speeds not to bad but I could feel it wasn’t right. The truck is also doing it while at a stop. Had to go straight to work so haven’t been able to check anything also I’m not much of a mechanic but do construction so I got tools.

My question what should I check first, second, third and so on?

Thanks y’all!!!!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When was the last time it had a regular tuneup? Cap, rotor, spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, etc.

What is your fuel pressure? It s/b 11-13 PSI. GM says 9-13 but, below 11 you start getting issues.

Then put a scanner on it and see what's going on with your sensors and fuel trim. Check for codes too.

Does this happen only after it warms up? If so it could be an issue with your ICM, pickup coil, ignition coil, or wiring in/to the distributor.

92k2500454

Reaction score
I haven’t done anything to it since I bought it except change the oil. I’m most likely going to have to start with what you said in the first part( tune up)

I’ll have to look up some videos on how to check the fuel pressure.

92k2500454

Reaction score
Any trucks to testing the fuel pressure at the fuel filter location without buying that adapter I keep seeing when I google

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's the adapter that goes in place of the fuel filter, and there's an adapter that screws to the fuel inlet port of the throttle body.

A few vehicles don't have clearance at the throttle body for the adapter. Otherwise, that's my preferred location.

Be sure that whichever adapter you use, the threads on the Schrader valve match the threads on the fuel pressure gauge hose. There's at least two different Schrader valve threads for use with fuel pressure testers, and OTC uses a quick-coupler system that doesn't have threads.

92k2500454

Reaction score
I checked the fuel pressure and it was at about 12. Changed the fuel filter but I can seem to get the fuel line back in the clip any advice ?
You must be registered for see images attach