Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi i have a 1992 chevy silverado k2500 light duty (6 lug)

I had purchased a led smoked third brake light on amazon that claimed it would fit a 88-98 chevy. After recieving it it looks like it would fit a 94+ chevy fine but not an 88-93. Im curious where i can find aftermarket cargo lights for my truck, as everything on amazon seems that it won't fit. Or is there a way to make that light fit my truck?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XWD4O2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thats the light i bought

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/chevrolet/truck/parts/tl3127.html

Thats the light i have on my truck.

Why is it that my truck has this light?

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I can tell, your truck shouldnt have an actual 3rd brake light, it's just a cargo light. I dont think a 3rd brake light was required for 3/4 and up trucks until 95'? (Correct me if I am wrong) but you just need to look for a cargo light, or if you decide to swap it over to a 3rd brake light/cargo light, there might be a few write ups on it already.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
As far as I know, trucks didn't get the third brake light until '94. Before that, the only possible light back there was the cargo light, which was an option that not many trucks have.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, these guys are right. I'd return the light you bought on Amazon.

A lot of Amazon and Ebay sellers will list parts for these trucks as 88-98 compatible when there are actually little incompatibilities that they have no idea about. I can't count the number of times I've seen corner lights listed for the wrong year range.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
94-up trucks had a 3rd brake light standard. Your 92 would have the cargo light in the second link. As @DerekTheGreat said, the cargo light was an option on the older trucks.

I also have seen countless times where an item for these trucks had the wrong year fitment and it was clearly for a different year. Most vendors just generalize the fitments years, like 88-98, instead of being more specific like 88-93, or 94-98. I've seen some corner lights once on Amazon, where they clearly fit an 88-93, but stated they were for a 94-98.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses, I will maybe look for a third brake light that goes in place of the cargo light! If y’all find any feel free to link em