92/94 Led gauge install (for) best results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems to me that if you used yellow LEDs, when they shined through the green it would look blue. Anyone tried that?

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to revive this long dead thread because I just did this today. I bought the white LEDs with twist locks from ebay,10 for $7.65 and free shipping. As we all know, LEDs need to be installed in a specific polarity to work. As we all also know, Murphy and his laws are always near us when we work on our trucks too. Of the 6 LEDs I installed today, only 2 are in the correct polarity. I couldn't tell if they were working or not due to me being outside when I did the swap so I put it all back together since I had to go somewhere and just hoped for good luck. I went out to check them since the sun has set a little and only the odometer and the top light on the left side work. Guess who gets to strip their dash back down tomorrow in the 100°+ Temps (AGAIN!) and just rotate the locks 180°. I'm going to take the whole cluster out and sand the back of the faces to get maximum white light through the gauges.

I really like the luminescent white gauge face but obviously the LEDs I put in negate that option. Anyone ever tried some version of painting the gauge faces? I don't know how that would work without turning into a hot mess but it's a thought.

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So.... in the vein of "what can go wrong,will", I pulled the cluster out again, sanded the back of the display to get true white light shining through rather than the green and swapped the LEDs around. I have full white light across the entire gauge but now only my upper gauges work. Both the speedo and tach are just dead.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
So.... in the vein of "what can go wrong,will", I pulled the cluster out again, sanded the back of the display to get true white light shining through rather than the green and swapped the LEDs around. I have full white light across the entire gauge but now only my upper gauges work. Both the speedo and tach are just dead.
Did you ever find out what's wrong? I'm going to install my white faced gauges to my 94 soon. I hope this doesn't happen to me.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Time to get the probe out. Or just go full custom

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did this to mine.
Plastidipped the needles. They glow a little at the base, I have a spare set I might clear and see how that looks.
The white face came from eBay. My mother in law got it for me for Christmas, I can get a link if you guys want, it is electroluminescent.
You must be registered for see images attach

I need the link!! Spent half this evening looking for that exact face for my truck! Thanks in advance

Welders can weld, and fitters can fit, but the porta-can-man knows his ****.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just put some in mine as well.. No clear needles might pick a gauge cluster up when I make my next visit to the wrecker, and try it out before I mess things up.

That's the look I'm going for. How does the Orange and red bits shine thru with (what looks to be) blue leds?

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need the link!! Spent half this evening looking for that exact face for my truck! Thanks in advance

I cannot find one available any more, sorry man.
Also, sorry it took me so long to respond.

timusry

Reaction score
Got a little carried away with some acetone.

Had to go back over it with some plastidip for the lights I don't have like abs and the shift light. Also had to put down some nail Polish for the ones I still need.

Rwd3signs

Reaction score
Glad I found this. Just ordered a full led kit for the entire dash to convert everything. Also found a white face gauge setup both on ebay