92 454SS Hard Start stalls fuel pump runs continuously

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by 92Red454SS, Aug 12, 2019.

Car Parts
  1. PlayingWithTBI

PlayingWithTBI Desert Old Guy

Yeah, I don't know, I ordered the 1984 just because it's a higher #, lol. Last weekend we changed the cap, rotor, and found the coil was bad too. I posted it on another thread but, my son noticed some discoloration on the coil, took a spray bottle of water and sprayed that area on the coil while idling. Each time he did the engine stumbled and almost died. Then he sprayed the other side of the coil - no problem. After changing it my engine ran good.

2. Schurkey

Schurkey I'm Awesome

Reading codes is not the same as scanning the data stream. Codes can be useful. Data stream is more important than codes.

Don't make me watch a video. Just tell me the voltage while cranking.

If you have compression, fuel and spark, why doesn't it start? Something is still wrong, and you just haven't found it yet.

3. 92Red454SS

92Red454SS Newbie

I videoed the cranking voltage as I didn’t have a helper handy and it seemed an easy way to communicate the result as I didn’t know exactly what you would be looking at.. looks like the voltage drop was 8.3 max. Also the truck does start, it just takes a while that is what I’m trying to resolve. I’ve been reading/learning about data streaming specifically TunerPro and will also have to get a ALDL cable. Any insight there might be helpful. Do I need the TunerPro RT version, is the Moates datalogger the way to go?

4. PlayingWithTBI

You can get TunerPro RT v5 and this ALDL cable. That's what most folks on GearheadEFI use for OBDI and can help with tuning/troubleshooting.

http://aldlcable.com/aldl.asp

5. 92Red454SS

92Red454SS Newbie

Replaced the ICM with a Delco unit. No better, maybe worse:(

6. PlayingWithTBI

Did you try spraying the coil with water and see if it stumbles worse?