91 Z71 Resto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One more thing to add...
Don't over tighten the 3 long bolts when you reassemble the alternator.
When I did mine, it wouldnt spin 100% freely. Scared the $hit out of me!
I loosed them a bit and everything was fine thank God!

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting project, love to this kind of rebuild myself. Did mine on a 1965 Chevy Van 32 years ago, installed a 292 stroker 6 & TH350 to tow a trailer, still can tow since 1988 with 90,000 miles on engine. still have the van. Now tow with our '94 k1500 GMC burb that I installed a 383 stroker in last year. Is a towing monster now. As for alternators, keep track of the nut that holds the pulley on. Climbing a steep hill towing last summer, the nut came off and the alternator and or belt started screaming like crazy. I did not stop cause I knew we probably couldn't get restarted on the hill so got to the top and pulled into a gas station which was right at the top. Belt was still on but half off. It was a Sunday so I thought we were toast, but there was a guy at the next island over who heard the screaming and came over to look. He said he worked at the NAPA store in town and would follow us over there to buy a new alternator, and they had one!!! Sort of worked out, we got angels keeping us safe.

Edited:
Wow what a close call!
I Bet that 383 sounds awesome!
Can't wait until I can start focusing more on the performance goodies!

Last edited:

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
howd you get that engine/engine bay all cleaned up that well?

First I vacuumed out all the acorn nuts, leaves, squirrel **** and god knows whatever else was nesting in between the air cleaner and intake manifold. Then after I sprayed all the bolts with PB blaster, I actually sprayed the engine bay down with black magic tire dressing, wiped it all up with some through away rags. Looks good but might not be best for old rubber hoses, plastic stuff. So far its been fine though!

Last edited:

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The inside is toxic. Need to source the water leak and kill all the mold.

As reconmend by another member here, I removed the wiper arms, cowl panel and hood to cowl seal.

All the debree inside had broken down to compost! Filled a bucket few inches high with dirt. Wasnt expecting that.

Last edited:

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Removal was simple, going to order new cowl/hood seal. Was happy that the old cowl panel wasn't faded or cracked!

You must be registered for see images attach

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cleaned out 29 years of stuff behind the seat. Found all sorts of lost treasure, including several lighters. Guess I was the real lighter thief/snatcher after all!
Found an old beanie hat that had gotten wet and turned into a science project full of mold. I mean the thing had a heart beat.
The whole interior HAS to come out. Everything is wet including the floor under the carpet.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drivers side door panel was barely holding on and also wet. Gently removed that as well.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will have to replace all of the weatherstripping, and door/window moldings.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick shot of the headliner...my father used thumb tacks to hold it up.
Have to rip this and the carpet out, finish removing all the mold and super cleaning everything.

Note the spare tire jack mount is a square nut that's located underneath cab. Its pain to get out more than anything else so far!

Ran out of time, but will try to make more progress tomorrow.

Will keep pics coming and progress posted!