91 Z71 Resto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had to reuse old threaded rod, one provided was too short just FYI.

Started her up, no squeaks but most importantly no clunking, crunching or metal to metal sounds!

Celebration was cut short when i noticed the belt was 2 ribs from flinging off !

No biggie, realigned belt again and torked down the belt tensioner and let it run until warmed up. Extremely impressed with how quiet and smooth the serpinetine system ran.

Took my oldest boy out for a quick spin through the neighborhood during his virtual school lunch break and gotta say the truck seems much more happier/smoother than before.

Last edited:

Ian Andrew

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the detailed pictures. I'm in New Zealand, so you can imagine how hard it is to get parts etc from the States at this time. I was also put on to Rockauto as well as LMC and found both really good to deal with. Be following your progress with interest. Cheers, Ian

Ian Andrew

Reaction score
Used a wire brush, bare metal primer and black rustolem. Battery covers up most of it so didn't put too much love into it.

This week I'm hoping to get the alternator clocked and bolted in, put the new belt back on, and install the new air cleaner i picked up.

TBC...

Just wondering what "clocking" means? I bought my new alternator from Rockauto at about an eighth the cost of reconditioning mine here including delivery and just bolted it straight on.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting project, love to this kind of rebuild myself. Did mine on a 1965 Chevy Van 32 years ago, installed a 292 stroker 6 & TH350 to tow a trailer, still can tow since 1988 with 90,000 miles on engine. still have the van. Now tow with our '94 k1500 GMC burb that I installed a 383 stroker in last year. Is a towing monster now. As for alternators, keep track of the nut that holds the pulley on. Climbing a steep hill towing last summer, the nut came off and the alternator and or belt started screaming like crazy. I did not stop cause I knew we probably couldn't get restarted on the hill so got to the top and pulled into a gas station which was right at the top. Belt was still on but half off. It was a Sunday so I thought we were toast, but there was a guy at the next island over who heard the screaming and came over to look. He said he worked at the NAPA store in town and would follow us over there to buy a new alternator, and they had one!!! Sort of worked out, we got angels keeping us safe.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the detailed pictures. I'm in New Zealand, so you can imagine how hard it is to get parts etc from the States at this time. I was also put on to Rockauto as well as LMC and found both really good to deal with. Be following your progress with interest. Cheers, Ian
Hey Ian!
Appreciate the interest. Thanks for the reality check. Sometimes I take for granted how lucky I am to live in the US, even if it is in the rust belt! Most of the parts are a couple mouse clicks and a few days away.
LMC has been a great source of reference for parts. Wish their prices with shipping were cheaper. So far summit shipping has been mega fast, and rockauto have been good to me! Fingers crossed that continues.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wondering what "clocking" means? I bought my new alternator from Rockauto at about an eighth the cost of reconditioning mine here including delivery and just bolted it straight on.
Clocking is really just adjusting the mounting postion so the bolt holes line up correctly. The alt case can actually rotate. I followed this YouTube link exactly and it wasn't bad.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media