91 k1500 front axle actuation with L83 NQH tcase swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71buickfreak

Reaction score
Okie dokie, here we go-

91 k1500, 2017 L83 Gen V swap with 6l80 and NQH tcase swapped in.

The tcase is controlled with a SwapTime retrofit harness and reprogrammed module. The module does not have any provisions for controlling the front axle.

The L83 is controlled via a reprogrammed stock ECM. There are no provisions on the wire-deleted harness.

I am giving the 91 engine harness a wire diet, removing unnecessary wires from the harness. I have the wiring diagrams for the 91 tcase and front axle, so I know the basics for the stock control.

Question 1: can I wire the actuator to 12v on a switch and get 4wd when the tcase is in 4wd, pr does the solenoid also need to be wired in? From what I can see in the diagrams, the actuator should engage the differential regardless of the solenoid, correct?

The solenoid operates the indicator lights and sends a signal to the abs to shut down abs operation, does it do anything else?

Question 2: the diagrams I have show the actuator to have a light blue wire and a black wire. The black wire looks to be a ground, the light blue a +12v wire. My actuator plug seems to just have 2 black wires only, are these interchangeable, or polarity-specific?

I am planning on keeping ABS at this time, but that could change. I am trying to figure out how to trigger the front axle off the 2017 tcase module, but I am not sure if I can with the module I have, waiting to hear from the guy that made it.

I would greatly appreciate any input you guys may have for me. Thanks in advance!