91 C2500 fuel pump replacement notes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guyf2000

Reaction score
The fuel pump failed in my 91 C2500 work truck a short time ago. I thought I'd add my notes on the replacement.

The diagnosis was pretty simple. Truck fired with starting fluid, and the fuel pump relay output was good.

I found pretty much all the information needed in a variety of places, and this will be the third fuel pump I've replaced in the GMT400 series, so the only obstacle was overcoming the "what a pain" attitude.

Previously I'd dropped the tank, so for a change I tilted the bed.

Locate and remove the eight bed bolts. These take an 18mm socket. They are installed with threadlocker, so will be tough to turn out. I used an 18" breaker bar, ratchet, extensions and a u-joint. I removed four step bumper bolts to give room for the rearmost two bed bolts.

Remove the three screws holding filler neck flange to bed. These took a Torx T30.

Remove the ground screw connecting the bed to a metal fuel pipe. Not sure what that pipe is; vapor, overflow, ?

Remove the ground screw at the rear connecting the bed to wiring harness.

Disconnect right rear light harness plug.

At this point, the bed is ready to lift. I used a hoist with hooks under the wheel well. Cardboard between the hooks and bed to protect the bed. Also, some OSB scrap between the cab and bed.
Once high enough, bed is blocked up with scraps of wood. The hoist is still in place.

Now you have access to the tank, fuel pump and the fuel lines. I removed the filler neck assembly completely to give me more room and stuffed a rag in the fuel tank opening to keep whatever out.

Disconnect the threaded connections, and the single rubber clamped hose. I believe I used a 5/8" and a 3/4" wrench on each threaded connection. They came apart easily oddly enough. There was some fuel in one line, which I belatedly caught in a handy cake pan.

The fuel pump retaining ring is tapped counterclockwise to release the pump. Hammer and metal drift used here. Again, little resistance and it came loose easily.

So, remove the pump using whatever maneuvers are needed to get the sock filter, float, etc out.

I did test the pump once removed. It was dead. No motion, no noise, no smoke, nothing.

Now time to put in the replacement. Next ...

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most GMT 400 fuel pumps don't die from use, most GMT 400 fuel pumps die from not changing the fuel filter every 15,000 miles--or less.

And yes, I know the operator's manual says 30k service--they lie.

At least you didn't cut a hole in the bed for quick and frequent access to the fuel pump.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Most GMT 400 fuel pumps don't die from use, most GMT 400 fuel pumps die from not changing the fuel filter every 15,000 miles--or less.

At least you didn't cut a hole in the bed for quick and frequent access to the fuel pump.

If he used a cheap fuel pump he should have cut that hole. :Big Laugh:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

30K on a fuel filter? EASY. (Depending on how clean the gas station underground tanks are, and whether the gas station has filters on the gas pumps.)

Around here, I bet I could get 60K on a fuel filter.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I went waaay north of 30k on many a fuel filter. I've also seen south of 30k before causing issues. The answer is it depends.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
30K on a fuel filter? EASY. (Depending on how clean the gas station underground tanks are, and whether the gas station has filters on the gas pumps.)

Around here, I bet I could get 60K on a fuel filter.

Baloney.
Either that, or you drive circles in an environmentally controlled clean room.
And yes, I buy name brand gas from a volume retailer.
Guys who don’t change fuel filters get to change fuel pumps instead.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I went waaay north of 30k on many a fuel filter. I've also seen south of 30k before causing issues. The answer is it depends.

I’ve gone north of 30k on a fuel filter too—which how I learned the glorious task of changing fuel pumps.

Folks who don’t change fuel filters get to change fuel pumps.

I’m surprised you guys don’t know this. Back in the day, the service manager at our local GM dealer said not changing fuel filters in these trucks and the early GMT 800’s gave them one of the more lucrative repairs in the shop. He said almost invariably when a truck came in with a plugged or even partially plugged fuel filter, it was back in 6 months for a new fuel pump.

Of course, I do live in Colorado where there is dust in the air most of the time. I do drive dirt/gravel roads often.

Change the fuel filter every 15k and a factory/quality fuel pump will last as long as the motor.

guyf2000

Reaction score
Well, episode 2. Not quite the end but nothing dramatic in the cards.

By the way, the truck has 153K on it of which 50K or 60k is my addition. This is the first fuel pump and filter replacement by me on this vehicle. I have no information on when or if they were previously replaced.

Lets see; new pump in, connected. Filter replaced with new o-rings on the connections. Filler neck reattached to bed and ground connected. All grounds have been cleaned and anti-ox applied to the terminal and screw. Not sure how that will hold up on a vehicle but will see where how that goes.

Lowered the bed and, eventually, holes lined up. Six of eight bed bolts in. One seems to have gone missing. Search will continue in the light Monday. Also I've bunged up threads in two of the nuts. Not sure how I did that. So new bolts are in order and if I don't have an appropriate tap, will order one.

Oh, yes, I have confirmed the replacement pump works; truck starts right up.

Last edited: