91 5.7 Roller engine intermittent knock at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lengthy post but I want to give details to help guys out ...I just got done putting a 274 cam in my newer 350 - 5.7 shortblock (2k miles on it ) in my carburated 1989 Shortbox. After this cam change At COLD idle I would get an intermittent nasty deep sounding knock. Like a normal tap tap tap tap then a knock ......normal tap tap tap tap tap knock cadence . It pretty much goes away away after the engine was at operating temp for the most part . I have 60 psi at idle running my melling z28 pump SVHP. l It sounded like lower end - bearing type knock to me - so I thought I hurt it and it needed bearings . My very experienced racing buddy came over and said no that sounds like an intermittent sticking lifter hitting the cam to me because he thought it was coming from the front of the motor .

I came across a GM TSB for roller motors exhibiting cold knock that said you need to use a specific FRAM or GM filter with an anti drainback valve in it . I bought it and it didnt work AT ALL to get rid of the knock . NO IMPROVEMENT . BUT I did notice it held oil pressure ALOT longer in the block after you turn the key off. Hastings LF279 is what I bought which flows almost 5x the volume of the Fram PH5 I had in there and has the anti drain back valve I found out after alot of research . I will personally never run a PH5 again. The TSB goes on to say if that filter doesnt fix it drop a FACTORY recalibrated prom in that reduces idle spark to reduce cylinder pressure at idle and get rid of the knock. Alot of guys complain about the knock but just live with it and apparently it doesnt hurt the 5.7 motors longevity much.

Hmmmm I thought - since I am carbed and I run no computer and a mechanical HEI maybe its my idle vacuum advance which I didnt have hooked up on the previous cam - build . When I swapped the new cam in I also inadvertently connected the full vacuum advance port on my Demon carb to my distributor then simply adjusted the idle jump down.

I can tell you 110 percent when I disconnected the vacuum advance from my HEI and cold start it now - it doesnt knock a single stinking time at idle , off idle , accelerating etc. NOT A SINGLE TIME . It didnt knock when previously connected however going down the road under acceleration etc. AGAIN IT ONLY KNOCKED AT IDLE .

So I can tell you guys if anybody is having an intermittent roller motor knock disconnect / plug your vacuum advance if you are running one and try starting it that way and listen for the knock to go away. I can sit there while its idling , connect the vac advance hose knock knock , disconnect it - silence connect it knock etc.....if someone would have told me that was the cause I would have called BS and said no way it would be suffering from preignition etc and wouldnt cause that particular D E E P knock sound. Again it doesnt sound like spark knock - it sounds like a single sharp bearing knock . I may connect it to carb ported vacuum later on to see if that is ok but for now its disconnected and silent and Im happy ......FWIW

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused, that TSB you posted is for a 90 - 95 4.3L LB4 VIN Z. I didn't think they had roller cams?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
AC PF1218 has the anti drainback valve, that's the filter the vortecs call for in the owners manual. PF35 is the AC for the older 350s, I think that the TBI motor uses it too. I grew up in an auto parts store and used to sell lots of AC filters. That's what Dad used in all our GM vehicles too. Factory spec and all that....

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TSB was across the board 305 350 454

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No clue ...once I connected the vac advance I never measured it... I just ran my idle screw down....Im running 13 initial now disconnected.

Ok...I'll bite. How much advance where you running at idle with the vacuum hooked up? And how much now?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TSB was across the board 305 350 454
OK, so where does it say to use that filter on a 5.7L VIN K? Sorry but it's always nice to have the most exact information when troubleshooting to keep from loading up the parts cannon:33:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
OK, so where does it say to use that filter on a 5.7L VIN K? Sorry but it's always nice to have the most exact information when troubleshooting to keep from loading up the parts cannon:33:

On the K trucks GM went from a PF51 to a PF 52 to eliminate the cold start knock. The PF 52 had an anti drain back valve to help keep the oil system primed/full of oil to prevent dry bearing start ups due to the fact that the filter lays on its side in the K trucks. Gm installed a lot of crank/ bearing kits in 5.0/5.7 blocks before they figured out that the system was not staying primed.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Roller lifters and related parts such as guide plates, rockers and studs, push rods an all make regular and intermittent solid noise. Cracked roller/flat roller. Improper valve adjust. I bad lifter hydraulics. Studs pulling out.
Piston to wall, and piston pins/small end rod wear makes idle noise. Pin noise goes away under load.
Piston to wall tightens as the engine warms.
Could be something isn't oiling correctly at idle.
Pistons rap at engine speed. Valve train knocks at half engine speed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull one spark plug at a time and see if it goes away with one cylinder. A knock that goes away when the engine warms up sounds like piston slap.