90W7's --91 K2500 build +5.3/4l60e swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aleks2505

Reaction score
The swap:

You must be registered for see images attach

The actual swap wasn't hard, its pretty straight forward. Once the 305 and 700r4 were out i removed all the wires that went from the TBI harness to sensors you wont use anymore like map,tps,injectors etc.. this will remove a bit of bulk from the original harness. i know some people just cut it all out but i wasn't sure of what was needed and what wasn't.

1. Keep the trucks original ECT sensor/wiring for the gauge
  2. Keep the trucks original Oil press sending unit/wiring for the gauge
  3. Keep the trucks original starting circuit in place. this will function like it always did despite having a new powertrain in place.
  4. if using a newer transmission with a prndl/park neutral switch over the trans gear selector shaft you can take it off because its not needed and will be in the way if you have the rod linkage. (these trucks already have a neutral safety switch on the steering column) you will need to wire in the park/neutral position wire from the harness to let the pcm know when its in park/neutral vs gear. The only exception to this was my original transmission rod linkage to the new 4l60e...while i got it to work it is very tight fitting and i will probably convert it to cable down the road

Out with the old

With the engine/trans out of the way i removed as much unneeded wiring as i felt comfortable removing(wasn't 100% what to keep and what to discard). I pressure washed the frame and put some por15 on it.

In with the new

I used the dirty dingo slider mounts and the engine and trans fell right into place.
http://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=359_362&products_id=1367

Transfer Case:
The stock np241c bolted right up to the new 4l60e and all linkage reattaches and fits like it should. .
I contemplated just splicing the new harnesses vss wires into the existing vss circuit but ended up just wiring the new vss wires to the sensor directly so the cluster will receive its vss signal from the 4k VSS pcm output.

I know this is an old thread and you have most likely moved to bigger and better things, but I am trying to hook up my VSS at this moment (my swap is completed pretty much, truck is running). I wanted to do what you did and hook up the 4K from the PCM to the cluster, but not having much luck. I noticed you have the halfmoon original cluster, which would have had an internal DRAC. So, how did you find this wire to hook into then? Any help would be greatly appreciated. ( unless you installed a later cluster with external DRAC, which I am trying to avoid, since I already upgraded mine to a 91 cluster with RPM guage which also had an internal DRACO) Thank you in advance.

Chrisa

Reaction score
Hi Aleks, did you find a way to bypass the DRAC in your cluster, I have the same thing to do on mine.