90 SS454 LED hyper flash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottcleaver

Reaction score
I thought i had read enough to fix such a little problem but nooo. I put some led tail lights and front turn signals in my 90 454SS, I did the research and it said use CFL13 JL-02 on some sites and CFL13 GL-02 flasher on other sites. I went with the JL version. When I plug it in I get nothing, No more rapid flashing and now no flashing at all. What gives?
Thanks Scott

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought i had read enough to fix such a little problem but nooo. I put some led tail lights and front turn signals in my 90 454SS, I did the research and it said use CFL13 JL-02 on some sites and CFL13 GL-02 flasher on other sites. I went with the JL version. When I plug it in I get nothing, No more rapid flashing and now no flashing at all. What gives?
Thanks Scott
There was a post on here maybe a month ago where somebody had similar problems and it was cleared up by adding a resistor to the circuit. I would try and find that post, it may help with your problem as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I tried a few electronic flashers on a 93, and finally found one that worked. I'll check the part number tomorrow if you'd like.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I don't know where those numbers you listed came from. Never heard of either solving the hyper-flash for a 400 running LEDs.
EP-29 is the number for the flasher unit. Works for 98% of 400's. Factory for Cadillacs that were some of the first GM vehicles to go digital. Same price from your local jobber as the original 400 non-digital flasher.
IIRC, EP-36 is the one for that other 2%.
I don't like the idea of running in-line resistors. Damn fire hazards.
Ever touch one while it's 'resisting'? A puff of smoke from the digits, that distinctive smell of burning flesh & an instant blister.
Like grabbing an electric stove element on high.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
...I don't like the idea of running in-line resistors. Damn fire hazards.
Ever touch one while it's 'resisting'? A puff of smoke from the digits, that distinctive smell of burning flesh & an instant blister.
Like grabbing an electric stove element on high.

"..while it's resisting.." LMAO

Well said though, just look at the dinky heat sink GM provided for the instrument cluster's dimmer circuit. Even that gets pretty dam toasty.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
EP-36, that's the one for the 88-94's. Thank you @sewlow! :D That is the one I used for my grandpa's 93. I tried an EP-29 flasher on his 93 and it was different. 95-98's used the EP-29.

I also don't like the idea of adding resistors, they just seem bulky and take more time imo. And I could see how they would be fire hazards as well.

Marcos A

Reaction score
I just ordered some flashback LED parking/Turn signals and this post came right on time. they'll be here sometime this week and hopefully I wont need this relay but if I do I now know where to come look for P/N - Thanks!