90 SS 454 steering box, worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
"Anything & eveything else from a 454SS is generic production line GMT400."

Hush your mouth! ;) the 1990 454SS has a unique moonie cluster, too. (I forget now if they're 100 or 110 mph) - not that I'd care about getting a moonie cluster, but, ya know it is specific to the 454SS. 1991 has the needle cluster w/tach, also 454SS-specific, and again still moonie-era electronics so it would work easier for a 1988-1991 moonie truck cluster swap. 1992-1993 110mph cluster the rarest hen's teeth of them all, being those were the lowest production 454SS's of the bunch.

Don't forget the valance fogs, buckets for them, switch, and associated harness. Hen's teeth.

But yeah, 3.73 on that 14 bolt, go get it quick...! I mean like yesterday.

Richard
Well...DoH!
Don't know much about the actual 454SS switch or the gauges.
Only ever rode in one, once. Buddy's week-old brand-new one, back in '91. I couldn't say what gauges were in it. I do remember the square dash, along with a general feeling of being underwhelmed. :confused:
I've only had round dash 400's. Never had to look for specific square dash stuff. Selective ignorance, I guess.

The valance fogs don't have buckets like the ones for a diesel bumper do.
They're available aftermarket. Brackets & lights as a set. Not GM/Delco, but I couldn't tell the diff. They even have L/R, up/down adjustments as per the originals.
They have the original style GM style connectors at the lights & that's the prob. No-one makes the corresponding connector on the harness side. They have to be modded for matching M/F plugs.
These = TYC. Don't now if they were the original supplier or not.

Valance. Aftermarket. IIRC, LMC sells 'em, too.
Not as flexible as OEM. Much more brittle.
That thing would snap a mount everytime it was rubbed, bumped or scraped. Speed bumps, parking curbs, steep driveways, all took their toll.
After replacing the lights 2x, (Pepples.) & the valance 3x, with a bunch o' repairs in between, I ditched the whole fog light thing & I put the OEM original 20 year old valance back on.
It was still on it up until the day the truck was murdered.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well...DoH!
Don't know much about the actual 454SS switch or the gauges.
Only ever rode in one, once. Buddy's week-old brand-new one, back in '91. I couldn't say what gauges were in it. I do remember the square dash, along with a general feeling of being underwhelmed. :confused:
I've only had round dash 400's. Never had to look for specific square dash stuff. Selective ignorance, I guess.

The valance fogs don't have buckets like the ones for a diesel bumper do.

You got me on that one. I was definitely thinking diesel bumper fogs for the buckets.

I had pretty good luck with the LMC tow hook valance; wonder if it was from a different supplier than the fog light valance. Mine took quite a bit of abuse. (It did break a couple mount points when the front of the truck got crashed, but still held in place.)

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you don't get that rear end share thee wealth for those that want to get it aka me lmao

Hell I'll throw myself in line too. I've been looking for a 454SS rear for YEARS!

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For those of you looking for a 454SS axle. Dutchman makes replacement 5 lug 14 bolt axle shafts. Just get yourself a junk yard SF 14 bolt put Dutchman axles in it and slap on some 1/2 ton 5 lug brakes and your done.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
For those of you looking for a 454SS axle. Dutchman makes replacement 5 lug 14 bolt axle shafts. Just get yourself a junk yard SF 14 bolt put Dutchman axles in it and slap on some 1/2 ton 5 lug brakes and your done.
yep that they do. I am still debating it

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
$445/pair and $300 for the 14b SF axle, and roughly $200 for brakes.

~1k is cheaper than building a 9" though so that is why it is still on my radar.

Last edited: