90 SS 454 steering box, worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it would hurt my soul to put a ford 9" in my truck.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I think it would hurt my soul to put a ford 9" in my truck.
For those of us building drag trucks the 9" is coveted for it's strength ease of upgrading and availability, and this has been the norm for decades.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but Peter those came stock in the Mopars with the option for them lol.
Yepper! I had a 12 bolt in my 65 Impala SS 327 but, it wasn't as bullet proof as the Dana 60. There's nothing wrong with the Ford 9", I'm just saying the Dana is another option :33:

jess t

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell I'll throw myself in line too. I've been looking for a 454SS rear for YEARS!
Sorry guys, it's under my truck, most likely stay there for a while. I would like to change out the "leading-trailing" style rear brakes to the older "dual servo" if that's possible, anyone pulled that off? jess

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The GMT800 steering box that I have is quick ratio, and if you turn too quickly, say turning around to back up in the city grass drop off parking lot it does get a little tippy. You can use them on a 4x4, but use discretion.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To keep things simple, all of the 1970 and later Chevelle, Camaro, Nova and Firebird have the same steering box bolt pattern as the truck's, so searching for these gearboxes eliminates any mounting problems. Aside from the mounting, all of these gearbox units are interchangeable.
Be careful. They will bolt-in but they are NOT "interchangeable", in that the steering stops on the "A" body are vastly different from the steering stops on the F and X boxes. You install an F or X box onto a '72--'64 A-body, and you'll need forty acres to turn the biytch around.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box was/is a popular swap for '64--'72 GM "A" bodies. Bolts right in if you have the right rag joint and hoses/hose adapters, has the fastest ratio and second-largest torsion bar. Has the correct steering stops. Same basic design as the OEM box, but with the better internal parts already installed. Junkyards had plenty of 'em. Cheap and reliable swap. I bought three of 'em; figured that as cheap as they were, I might as well have some "on the shelf" for "later".

I tried to put one in my K1500, and discovered that the K1500 box was significantly bigger.

*GM warns NOT to use a Q/R box in 4x4's.*
Apparently, it's a stability concern.
Or is a concern that the smaller/lighter box isn't strong enough for 4X4 weight/tire size/loading.

Last edited: