9.5 14 bolt swap questions, beat to death I know............

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
OK I looked, most of it is already posted but reference 4x4 trucks. I have a 94 single cab short bed truck with the 8.5. I want to change gears ratios again and figure I might as well go with the 9.5 built over time and not take my truck out of commission waiting on funds.

So, if I reading things correctly I can use a 9.5 out of any 88-98 2WD truck? Will the Tahoe and Suburban units also work? Will my brake backing plate bolt up and can I keep the drums as I have them now? Obviously I'll have to address axle lug issues.

It's kind of a causal thing for me. I'll buy stuff as I find a deal but I'd hate to have it wrong buy the wrong stuff. Any help is appreciated.

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SUV's will have different spring mounts for the leafs. Id try to find a 6 lug 14 bolt rear assuming your truck is a 1500 or a light 2500. You wont have to mess with a full float and itll have plenty of beef. Driveshaft might have a different yoke but there are plenty of adapters and ways to change that once you get there. In terms of length of driveshaft im not sure.

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not the most knowledgeable on axles but I'll answer what I can.

As far as I know. All the corporate 9.5s are the same from 88-98, with the exception that 4wd versions are wider than the 2wd.

Also if I'm not mistaken they all have welded backing plates and drum brakes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From what I've gathered yes, you can use any 2WD 9.5" 14 bolt semi-floater from an '88-'98 with the exception of the SUV units as mentioned.

I'm also curious about the brakes though. I'm currently in the process of sourcing parts for a similar upgrade in my red '97 C1500. I'm going to find a six lug 2WD 9.5" 14 bolt and send the axles to Moser for conversion to five lug. I want to keep my factory five lug wheels. I was planning on re-using my factory brake parts if possible but I'm not sure how compatible everything is.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Good to know on the Tahoe/Suburban not working, I thought they were different but wanted to know for sure. The brakes are all I've really got left to be concerned about. I have already switched to the bigger u-joint so the shaft length is all I'll have to figure out there, that's easy.

What size rear brakes did the 454ss have?

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look up Dutchman axles, they sell the 5lug ss454 axles, and yes I believe the ss trucks had the bigger drums.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Any one have any input on what I should expect to pay for a used 14b 9.5? The local full service yards want $300-400. If I can find one in a you pull it yard they seem to go for $150 plus what ever they try to bang me for on the drums, u-bolts etc. Sometimes they try to add that one me and sometimes they don't.

One yard has 454ss rear for $750 :eek:, a yard in Oregon is showing one for $450 so I think this guy is high.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To answer your question though, the six lug 9.5" 14 bolt semi floaters go for around $350 pulled in my area. Actual 454SS axles are exponentially higher. I almost bought one shipped from NJ to MO for $1K, and another from NY to MO for $750. Both guys disappeared unfortunately.