'89 Stepside "Way Cool Jr."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made two trips with scrap metal this week, and if you have metal to sell, now's a good time. Every little bit counts. Those cracked cylinder heads you have laying in the corner? If they're completely disassembled, they're $4 a piece as clean bulk iron. That $16 paid for my gas for both trips. I had a rotted set of jumper cables and a handful of ancient extension cords my dad found in his closet. Along with a Cadillac wiring harness, that was $5. One of the aluminum wind turbines on my roof went bad, and with a grocery bag of aluminum cans and another bag of aluminum pie tins and used aluminum foil that was another $4. A brass heater core, an aluminum condensor, and a brass radiator? $11. Two car batteries and a dozen SLABs from computer backup power supplies that had gone bad? $24. The rest went as "tin", the Cadillac hood, front fenders, front doors, trunk, and core support, along with a stock Subaru WRX muffler, scraps from my welding table, scrap metal from the construction of my shop, etc., added up to 1180 lbs - $70.

Two trips = $116 that my wife can't tell me how to spend, and I have more room in my shop.

Way Cool Jr. hauls 600 lbs like there's no load. I'm absolutely loving the cam I picked.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spotted a '90 2500 for sale with a service bed on it. I can't tell if it's a C2500 or K2500, but if I can get it for a good price, WCJr might just become a race truck.

Because I always need more projects. [roll eyes]

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realized today that I've been avoiding the truck lately. The steering box is getting really loose, so I decided to pick up a spare box at Pull-A-Part and rebuild it at my leisure. I got to PAP today at 12:50, and they closed at 1 pm. Doh! So I went to LKQ, since I was already 3/4 the way there. I completely forgot that LKQ prices their parts like they're selling new. They wanted $77 for one that needed rebuilding. No, thanks. It was a bust.

I did spend $30 on a new cruise control actuator. The cable on mine flopped loose the other day and landed on the header. Doh! I really need to get another $7 mounting stud and attach it to the throttle.

I'm hoping to have a froggier attitude tomorrow morning so I can get a jump on finally installing the Sniper distributor I bought two months ago.