'89 Stepside "Way Cool Jr."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a busy work week and tomorrow is day 8 of 10. I finally did a little bit on the truck this evening; I pulled the tie rod adjusters off the old tie rod ends and got them on the new pieces. If I'm feeling froggy after work tomorrow I'll get them all sized and threaded the same, put them on the truck, and maybe even align it.

I spent most of the last week at work troubleshooting a forty-year-old generator with a trainee. Every time we fired it up, the symptoms changed. It came down to 95% of the parts working 95% of the time. We replaced a few switches, replaced a few wires, tightened a crapload of loose terminal screws and loose spade terminals, replaced the brand new but faulty governor control, and built a box to test the governor actuator. Today it finally run, and hopefully tomorrow it load tests good. It might sound like we threw a lot of parts at it, but we actually caught parts acting up. I sat down and tested one of the safety switches and watched it correctly close to 0.2 ohms fourteen times, and then close to 10 ohms the fifteenth time. What a pain in the butt! Perseverance. Many others had tried and given up on fixing it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My right arm's been hurting when I lift it lately, and I went to get it checked out. The doc said it looks like a rotator cuff injury and I need to schedule an MRI. If I do any work on the truck, it's going to be slow and careful.

Also, the generator tested bad. The contactor won't close so we can't put a load on it. At least we know all the places the problem isn't!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The doc said it looks like a rotator cuff injury and I need to schedule an MRI.

That sucks. :(

My dad had a tear in one of his years ago. The surgery was easy, but the recovery was longgggg. It was almost six months before that arm was anything close to normal again.

Good luck, hope yours is an easy fix if you do end up needing the surgery.

e-fin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a small cyst (basically blister) in my shoulder socket that acted similar to torn rotator so don’t get hung up on the worst case. Mine went from non to extreme pain then back to non in kinda of a cycle but very constant. It was small enough that they said to drain it going through the shoulder tissue would likely irritate things greatly and whatever pain relief I’d have wouldn’t be worth it. If I could stomach the pain just rest it and ice/heat cycle it best I could. That’s what I ended up doing. Didn’t/couldn’t completely baby it but month or so and the pain got a lot better. 6 months and pain was gone. Now it gives me a heads up warning if I really stress it but when it did it I was swinging a sledgehammer like I was a teenager.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been on vacation with the family, but finally got some more work done today. The last time I ordered from Summit I found they have the front air dam with cheap shipping, compared to Rock Auto's $150 shipping charge. The new front airdam is on! And speaking of...

Have you ever come to the realization that one of your trucks previous owners was a dirtbag mechanic?

My busted-up airdam wasn't original. I know because THERE WAS A PIECE OF THE ORIGINAL AIR DAM BOLTED ON UNDER THE BUSTED-UP AIR DAM.

The clip was broken and spinning, so he just left it in place. F'n moron. I took the time to do it right and remove the old, broken bit.

The center link is back in place, the Jeep joint is connected to the factory box again, and the power steering hoses are reconnected. I put the rotors back on with the old, good bearings and new seals. Grease? I just packed some fresh stuff on top of the old grease. It wasn't contaminated. The bearings are tightened down and cotter-pinned.

The tie rod ends? I decided I do need new adjusters, and I had a couple beers with dinner, so I'll pick them up tomorrow after work. The new front brake hoses are ready to install, but I'll get them on tomorrow and bleed the brakes.

Now for the bad(ish) news. There's a pool of transmission fluid. WTF? It hasn't leaked before. Maybe time to try the rebuilt 700R4?

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been on vacation with the family, but finally got some more work done today. The last time I ordered from Summit I found they have the front air dam with cheap shipping, compared to Rock Auto's $150 shipping charge. The new front airdam is on! And speaking of...

Have you ever come to the realization that one of your trucks previous owners was a dirtbag mechanic?

My busted-up airdam wasn't original. I know because THERE WAS A PIECE OF THE ORIGINAL AIR DAM BOLTED ON UNDER THE BUSTED-UP AIR DAM.

The clip was broken and spinning, so he just left it in place. F'n moron. I took the time to do it right and remove the old, broken bit.

The center link is back in place, the Jeep joint is connected to the factory box again, and the power steering hoses are reconnected. I put the rotors back on with the old, good bearings and new seals. Grease? I just packed some fresh stuff on top of the old grease. It wasn't contaminated. The bearings are tightened down and cotter-pinned.

The tie rod ends? I decided I do need new adjusters, and I had a couple beers with dinner, so I'll pick them up tomorrow after work. The new front brake hoses are ready to install, but I'll get them on tomorrow and bleed the brakes.

Now for the bad(ish) news. There's a pool of transmission fluid. WTF? It hasn't leaked before. Maybe time to try the rebuilt 700R4?
You know He's just a little upset cause he missed the vacation.... leave em out they act out! Haha

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score

You got a link for the one from Summit? I need one for my truck, and rock auto is crazy priced for shipping like you said.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I frickin hate people who can merge into traffic. Hell, I hate people who cant drive the speed limit when there is no reason not to. Approach the traffic on the HWY, at the speed it is moving. Its not hard people. Nobody is going to slow down to 25 MPH to let you in.