'89 Stepside "Way Cool Jr."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I got my truck aligned, I ordered up a set of 275/60-15s for my Centerline Pro-Comps. I was planning on a set of Milestar StreetSteels from Discount Tire, but when I talked with the guy at the local store, he said they're on a two-month backorder. I shopped around some more, and I can't find 275/60-15s in any brand for under $150 a tire... except Amazon. They have Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s in 275/60-15 for $137 each. Last night I ordered a set. They should be in by Friday, and I'm seriously wondering if they have a recent manufacture date.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now that I got my truck aligned, I ordered up a set of 275/60-15s for my Centerline Pro-Comps. I was planning on a set of Milestar StreetSteels from Discount Tire, but when I talked with the guy at the local store, he said they're on a two-month backorder. I shopped around some more, and I can't find 275/60-15s in any brand for under $150 a tire... except Amazon. They have Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s in 275/60-15 for $137 each. Last night I ordered a set. They should be in by Friday, and I'm seriously wondering if they have a recent manufacture date.
I have a set of 275/60-15 milestar streetsteals on my truck rite now. I need to replace them. They are worn out. I am also looking at the firehawks. When you get them, post some pics. I have also had a set of cooper cobras.
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I have Cooper Cobras but they aren't cheap! After tax, road hazard, mounting, balancing, etc @ Discount Tire it was ~$435 for 2 tires!
Yup when I had to get 2 Cooper discoverer rtx for the Burb right before Christmas last year, the tires were $109 each. With tax title and license etc. it was $300+.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should be in by Friday

My optimism was unwarranted. When I see "Delivery by UPS" I always feel kinda like Joe Pesci ordering at the drive through. It's now saying "possibly Monday". In fairness to UPS, it looks like three of the tires were in the local warehouse and they're waiting for the fourth to come in from Jacksonville, Florida. I was really hoping to get the tires installed this afternoon.

On the plus side, my engine run stand is about 70% completed.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Should be delivered before 8 pm Monday" The tires arrived at 7:58. The date codes are "5120", "5220", "0121", and "0121"; not bad. Tomorrow I get to see if the tractor tire shop down the road will install them. There's a tire shop in town, but last time I relied on them they charged $120 and busted one of my Mustang's center caps.

I worked over the weekend, so I didn't get anything done today except chores inside the house. Once the engine run stand is finished and the tires are on, I'm planning on tearing into the driver's door. I need to replace the outer wiper seal, clean the latches so the door locks start working, replace the arm rest, recover and install the upper cover panels on the door panel, tighten the mirror so it doesn't fold in at speed, clean the tint off, install sound deadening, and reinstall the detent and spring.

I was going to start with the passenger side, but I realized I haven't ordered the replacement door handle yet. Crap! RockAuto should have it here before I get to the second door.

I also need to get around to installing the center console so the power seats move so I can clean the tint off the back window.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the tires mounted and balanced yesterday for $91, including disposing of the old tires ($3/tire state fee). The steering feels considerably more loose now, so rebuilding or replacing the steering box is more of a priority.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I got it from another 24 Hours of Lemons race team when I went to Barber a couple years back. They custom printed a batch as a joke and handed them out.