'89 Stepside "Way Cool Jr."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but you never learn by not trying. It also helps that I rebuilt one in school 25 years ago, I have three transmission books to work from, and YouTube is always handy. I think the big question is, "Am I in a financial position where I can afford to f*** this up?" I can afford to spend $660 in parts and have it not work, but that would be a tough blow. I do also have enough experience that I'm confident it will work. Finally, I don't have a shop nearby that I would trust to do it right. I have several friends who've spent a couple thousand on a transmission only to never get it done right.

Twenty years ago I paid $700 to have my Caddy's TH400 rebuilt for more horsepower. I think the guy took my money and said, "Eh, it's running fine. He'll never know." One week later the pump gave up in the transmission and the shop owner told me, "It's the heat from those headers. They cooked the transmission." I got shafted.

I trust my work.

Thatlowchevy

How’d I get inside this tube?!?!
Reaction score
Thanks, but you never learn by not trying. It also helps that I rebuilt one in school 25 years ago, I have three transmission books to work from, and YouTube is always handy. I think the big question is, "Am I in a financial position where I can afford to f*** this up?" I can afford to spend $660 in parts and have it not work, but that would be a tough blow. I do also have enough experience that I'm confident it will work. Finally, I don't have a shop nearby that I would trust to do it right. I have several friends who've spent a couple thousand on a transmission only to never get it done right.

Twenty years ago I paid $700 to have my Caddy's TH400 rebuilt for more horsepower. I think the guy took my money and said, "Eh, it's running fine. He'll never know." One week later the pump gave up in the transmission and the shop owner told me, "It's the heat from those headers. They cooked the transmission." I got shafted.

I trust my work.

I feel you on being shafted, last summer I paid Quality GM transmission in Tulsa to rebuild my 4l80e in my 2001. I had lost all gears because it overheated. Granted they rebuilt it and it would run 85. It always dropped in and out of OD if you stayed at 65 too long. Called and they said it was because of a “tune” I had on the truck.... everything on the truck was bone stock besides a lift and gauges to monitor the trans temp. Here’s a pic of the old girl. Couple weeks later trans went again and the “lifetime no questions asked” warranty I paid for didn’t do ****
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word of mouth. Tell everyone you know the facts of your interaction with the shop. This used to be how businesses had reputations, but people don't do that any more. If I know a good shop, I tell everyone I can. If a shop does me dirty, everyone knows. So long as you speak truthfully they won't have grounds for a defamation suit.

A friend of mine does marketing for local businesses, and she relies on social media like Instagram to get the word out. What used to be word-of-mouth advertising is now paid-for marketing. We have to speak to our friends to support the local businesses that do real work. We have a heating and air company here in Norman that specializes in not actually fixing your problem and then convincing you to buy a whole new system (I'd call them out by name, but I didn't diagnose my parents' HVAC, so it's speculation). They are now the largest game in town. Meanwhile I know of a great two-man shop that actually troubleshoots the problem and charges a reasonable price. Guess which one is always in my Facebook feed? It's not the company I would trust.

The transmission shop I used is long since out of business, so I didn't bother to call them out.

I have a friend who went to DC Transmission several years ago to get the transmission in his very nice Camaro repaired. Del City has a crime problem, so the owner promised to park the Camaro indoors every night. A couple days later my friend got a call from the shop. They'd left the car outside overnight and the stereo got stolen and the dashboard busted. The shop did great work on the transmission, but the owner refused to do anything about the stereo, even though he assured my friend the car would be parked inside. My friend spread the word, and cost them more in business than the stereo would have cost.

This past weekend I was talking with another friend about rebuilding my transmission, and he related spending $2500 so far on failed rebuilds for his Dodge Ram 2500. If I could remember the name of the shop I'd put it out here for you. Another friend recommended a shop and he's hoping another $1500 will fix it. That's four grand for a transmission. I can't afford that bullcrap.

Word of mouth. Ensure that the shops get the good or bad reputation they reserve. The flip side of that is to be truthful with yourself and others about the service you asked for and received.

While I'm on the subject, I have to give a shout out for Oklahoma Transmission Supply. I went and bought the bushing kit for my transmission yesterday. It's $25 on RockAuto, but OTS had it for $17, and they threw in the line pressure valve c-clip that I dorked up for free. Everything I've bought from them came in below any price I could find online. I really wish I'd gone to them first and asked for the works. It probably would have saved me about $50 in shipping costs, several hours of research, and some decent money in overall costs.
https://otsparts.com/

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't get much done in the last week. My wife and I went to the Grand Canyon with the in-laws, and in the interim my grandmother passed away. She recovered from Covid in December, but it weakened her heart and lungs. We were glad we got to see her en route. Her funeral was today. Across family, in-laws, foster children, adoption, and just friends who needed family, she showed us all the same level of love and hope, no matter how lost we were at the time. "I love you, God loves you, and he has a plan for your life." Share that with those around you.

This evening one of my kids came over to do laundry and was surfing for a car, so I couldn't goof off on my computer. I went out to the shop and started putting parts back into the transmission. Taking a week off really hurt, but the exploded view in my transmission book from college is really helping. I only had to take stuff back apart three times.

Soaking the clutches in an ice cream bucket before installation:

View media item 32697
About 1/3 of the way reassembled:

View media item 32698

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two days ago:

"Since your grandmother passed, your aunt is moving all the stuff out of her other house and is giving the washer and dryer to our daughter. Can you take the truck down to Norman, meet the movers, pick up the washer and driver, and take them to my mother's house?"

"Umm... yes... if the truck cooperates."

So far my longest trip has been a twenty-mile round trip. This was about 64 miles, and it was pouring down rain. The truck ran like a champ. The defroster is worthless, and at every intersection the windshield fogged up, but the firewall has a pretty good leak somewhere, so as soon as I started driving again it cleared right up. The heater is also worthless, so a coat is a must. The outside mirrors fold in on their own while driving, so I had to look over my shoulder for every lane change. The windshield wipers worked great, but I still have a new wiper switch coming this week.

The Sniper's getting really dialed in. The throttle transitions are better and it doesn't stall, but it still tries to blow the tires off when accelerating from a stop. It's even worse on rainy streets, and the open diff doesn't help. It did see a post the other day with a listing of rear gears, and it looks like I have the 3.73s.

Budget-wise everything's on hold. A couple hundred miles into our Grand Canyon trip the brakes on my wife's 300 started grinding. They're not new, but they're not old. I pulled the front wheels off and the right front caliper is hanging, destroying the outer pad while the inner still has half its life left. Brake parts are on their way. If that's not bad enough, the Mustang's driveshaft is humming pretty good now. It's a two-piece with a carrier bearing and a funky rear joint. I can buy rebuild kits for the CV joints for $150, but it doesn't include a carrier bearing. I'm more inclined to buy the Ford Performance driveshaft - but it's $660. Ouch! But, the Mustang's still in great shape and the parts have been pretty reasonably priced, so I'm going to spend some stimulus cash on it. Still waiting for that stimulus though.

I also spent a few hours at Pull-A-Part yesterday and got a passenger door and driver's fender for my son's Crown Vic, along with a sunburn. We bought his car with a bent passenger door, and discovered that it doesn't seal all the way. The driver's door hits the fender, but only one door at a time will fit in the 300. We're planning on making another trip on Wednesday with the truck so that we can get the other door. In addition, my wife hit one of the railroad ties in our front yard that forms a planter around our maple tree, and dented her door. I found an identical gray 300 at PAP with a perfect door, so I have to nab that as well. Good thing I built my door tool!

View media item 32243

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife's been using the Mustang this week while we wait for parts for the 300. I've been using the truck as my daily driver, and I think I can officially call it "a driver". My son and I went to Pull-A-Part yesterday and we got the other door for his car and the door for my wife's car. Some people knock the stepsides for not having as much room, but it's plenty big enough for my needs.

The Sniper has a nice gauge display, and the coolant temp runs rock solid between 178-182°F.

I wish I'd balanced the rotating assembly. The truck gives a bit of a back massage at idle. It was my first small-block Chevy build, so I won't spend too much time regretting.

I really need to do an oil change and check the plugs, but the Mustang needs an oil change worse, and I have plenty of work lined up in the next few weeks. We'll see when I can get around to it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the brake parts on my wife's 300. It brakes nice and quiet now.

I went ahead and bought the Ford Performance driveshaft for the Mustang. $700 shipped. Ouch!

My son and I swapped his passenger door onto his Crown Vic. It closes nicely and doesn't leak air now. He's coming back over next week for the other door and fender.

My other kid is looking to replace his '02 V6 Mustang with either a nicer V8 Mustang, a V8 Camaro, a 350Z/G35, a V8 Charger, or ...? So I've been with him to check out three cars. One was an immaculate 2004 350Z convertible that was out of his budget. Another was a ragged out Mustang that was so rough we walked away without making an offer.

Earlier this week I swapped the driveshaft out of the Mustang. The original is heavy enough that you could bench press it for a workout. The new one is wonderfully light, but what a pain in the butt to install! While I had the car up I changed the oil and tried to find the steering clunk I've been hunting for two years. When wiggling the right front wheel I was finally able to spot the control arm and mounting bolt wiggling! The bolt had been tight enough that I couldn't wiggle it, but loose enough to have play. Now it's a little loose and I was able to spot it. Unfortunately that means the mounting hole is worn. I put everything back together.

Yesterday afternoon I loaded WCJr down with 750 lbs of scrap metal. It was a 30 minute drive to the scrap yard and the truck ran great. The engine pulled like there was no weight in the bed. The transmission is tightening up and I was able to get on it a bit. Putting 19 gallons of 91 octane in it did hurt a bit, though.

View media item 32712
Today I jacked up the Mustang and welded a washer on the frame to re-center the control arm bolt. An hour's worth of work and it drives like new again, but I was really nervous about welding on my daily driver.

Now, hopefully, I can get back to putting the 700R4 together. Here's a pic of my seal installation tool I made 23 years ago. It's a piece of copper tubing with .024" wire in one end, and .035" wire in the other.

View media item 32714
I also used some soda bottle plastic to install those stupid seals that you have to be real careful of. It sure beats the $150 tool GM wants to sell you.

View media item 32713