'89 Stepside "Way Cool Jr."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im curious about your wiring adapter between the distributor and the Sniper. I understood that you coudnt use the stock distributor as is. I am aware (and have ordered the parts) that you can use the small cap dizzy as a magnetic pickup dizzy, but the module is eliminated. https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/01/20/ask-away-jeff-smith-rotor-phasing-relates-efi/
I have tried to get an answer from Holley, but thats like finding chicken teeth. If you could expand on that, I would appreciate it.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im curious about your wiring adapter between the distributor and the Sniper. I understood that you coudnt use the stock distributor as is. I am aware (and have ordered the parts) that you can use the small cap dizzy as a magnetic pickup dizzy, but the module is eliminated. https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/01/20/ask-away-jeff-smith-rotor-phasing-relates-efi/
I have tried to get an answer from Holley, but thats like finding chicken teeth. If you could expand on that, I would appreciate it.

It should be like the FiTech you hook the input wire for tach signal (it's not the tach wire on the unit, it'll be a designated wire) then set your timing at 3k and see what it reads on your hand held and what the timing light says. Input the difference into the hand held and you can now create your own timing table.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the harness I got doesn't look as plug-and-play as I thought it'd be, so it's sitting for now. As soon as the weather got cold my progress on the truck dried up. We're not projected to have temperatures above 50* in the next couple weeks, and when it is above 50*, I'm still cleaning up the yard from two ice storms. I kinda wish I still had an outdoors job so I'd be acclimated, but the desk job pays better.

I drove the truck to the hardware store yesterday, and the TCC is locking up as it's supposed to, but the transmission flares if I give it more than half throttle. As soon as the credit card cools down from Christmas I'm going to order parts to rebuild the original 700R4.

After giving advice on another thread I checked my IAC value on the Sniper, and when warm it's at 0% instead of 5-7%, so that may be why I'm having a stumbling problem just off idle. I'm not sure what changed, but I'll readjust that.

If I get out in the shop today, I'll be welding a scattershield on my dad's black walnut ******* I built. I gave it to him for Christmas and he tried it out, and now I've made a few tweaks to it.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, the harness I got doesn't look as plug-and-play as I thought it'd be, so it's sitting for now. As soon as the weather got cold my progress on the truck dried up. We're not projected to have temperatures above 50* in the next couple weeks, and when it is above 50*, I'm still cleaning up the yard from two ice storms. I kinda wish I still had an outdoors job so I'd be acclimated, but the desk job pays better.

I drove the truck to the hardware store yesterday, and the TCC is locking up as it's supposed to, but the transmission flares if I give it more than half throttle. As soon as the credit card cools down from Christmas I'm going to order parts to rebuild the original 700R4.

After giving advice on another thread I checked my IAC value on the Sniper, and when warm it's at 0% instead of 5-7%, so that may be why I'm having a stumbling problem just off idle. I'm not sure what changed, but I'll readjust that.

If I get out in the shop today, I'll be welding a scattershield on my dad's black walnut ******* I built. I gave it to him for Christmas and he tried it out, and now I've made a few tweaks to it.

Set your IAC first for sure before doing anything else. This is the main input for the computer to change settings from. If you're still having the stumbling problem you might need to add more fuel through the hand held. I struggled a bit with this on my Fitech. Took a good couple weeks to get it tuned. Make sure you are looking at both fuel input levels too, cold ( closed loop) and warm (open loop). Also if your stumbling when motor is cool you need to adjust for the cold settings only. Again I'm guessing its pretty similar to the FiTech from what I read on other forums.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd set the IAC a while back, but there's been a lot of changes and fixes to other things since then, so yeah, it's time to redo it. As far as the fine tuning goes, Abel Racing is just down the road from me, but I want to rebuild the transmission first.

Also on the to do list:
Re-fix the driver's side door detent
Replace the windshield and mount the mirror
Replace the passenger side door handle
Clean both door locks so I can use them
Replace the rub strips on the windows
Tighten the driver's visor so it quits dropping down when driving

The tires are old and not trustworthy, but I'm not going to bother replacing them until I start putting miles on the truck. If nothing else, I have a set of good tires going bad on the Cadillac that I could swap on. Same 5x5 bolt pattern.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd set the IAC a while back, but there's been a lot of changes and fixes to other things since then, so yeah, it's time to redo it. As far as the fine tuning goes, Abel Racing is just down the road from me, but I want to rebuild the transmission first.

Also on the to do list:
Re-fix the driver's side door detent
Replace the windshield and mount the mirror
Replace the passenger side door handle
Clean both door locks so I can use them
Replace the rub strips on the windows
Tighten the driver's visor so it quits dropping down when driving

The tires are old and not trustworthy, but I'm not going to bother replacing them until I start putting miles on the truck. If nothing else, I have a set of good tires going bad on the Cadillac that I could swap on. Same 5x5 bolt pattern.

That's a nice list. I'm still trying to get time to cut my floors out and weld in the replacement panels. Jeep has the same bolt pattern also. I got 5 wheels with **** still on the tires for $400 from a guy that bought a jeep and immediately put aftermarket wheels on it. I ran an 1-1/4" spacer. Should've went 1-1/2". I get rubbing up front if I try to turn the wheel to lock on tight corners. Like doing a polite 180 in a parking lot. I guess I'll just have to give it a little more gas to get the ass end to swing around. Then I won't have the issue. LOL.