89 sportside silverado regeneration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Theredae92

Reaction score
So i inherited an 89 c1500 silverado sportside with 98000 miles from my dad and i'm planning on making it shine and work as best as it could during coming winter. It's been garaged and only driven during summers and i plan to keep it that way. It's a rarity and a headturner here in eu So i want to keep it good and make some tasteful improvements to the original vehicle.
That's why i'm asking more experienced people what should i look into/save for/consider about?
It has a 350 tbi with 10 bolt rear diff not sure if it's 4 or 3 speed trans but you guys probably know from just the model.
So far i replaced spark plugs since they were rusty and some broke taking them off, also distributor cap and rotor the gearing under rotor was rusty but i don't know how it comes off so i just cleaned up the top with wire brush and put it back together apparently my dad replaced the spark plug wires so i didn't touch those but i also changed the coil so the whole ignition should be pretty much replaced (I had trouble getting it to run)
Then I replaced the fuel pump and pulled out all the loose rubber from fuel lines and now it works like a charm. Only problem is I hear a rythmic thudding or gussing from engine compartment when over 2-3k rpm? (it doesn't have an actual tachometer so not sure). Might be an exhaust sound or something I adjusted the cams and for that kind of noise there had to be multiple banging at the same time i think.
It's been straight piped btw with just a single muffler on the middle. Also the radio barely works but apparently it just needs some soldering and probably new speakers, also headliners sagging so could i just pull it off and put some glue under it and put it back? Oh and the rear brakes won't engage so well so i assume i need to replace the master cylinder i already replaced the shoes and cylinders on the rear.

Attachments

• Chevy silverado 89.jpg
    Chevy silverado 89.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 19

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome:
Sounds like a good project. Plus you have a great specimen to work with :waytogo:
not sure if it's 4 or 3 speed trans but you guys probably know from just the model.
Odds are it's a 700R4 trans which has 4 speeds with a locking Torque Converter. Look at the shifter and see if it has "D and OD".

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a 4L60, but they were still calling them 700R4s. Mine has the 4L60's extra accumulator, but it's an '89. If you ever do anything with the TV cable, read up on TV cable adjustment before driving it! If you get the cable wrong you will burn up your transmission before you get around the block. Ask me how I know my 700R4 has an extra accumulator.

Might be an exhaust sound or something I adjusted the cams and for that kind of noise there had to be multiple banging at the same time i think.
Uh, what?

victor II

Reaction score
I inherited my Dad’s ‘88 std cab, long bed with 89k miles. It, too, has a 350 TBI and a 4 spd automatic. It was also garaged after he died. I let it sit for a few years. When I revived it I put on new tires, yanked the after marked Jacobs ignition, replaced the brakes pads/shoes, changed the fluids, hoses, filters, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I also changed the o2 sensor and cleaned the grounds under the hood. Then I got it smogged and brought the paint back with SuszBox products. I now have 166k on it and it runs and looks great. Still gets 24 mpg on a long trip.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have an 89 ive had for about 3 years now. I am in the process of slowly restoring single cab short bed.
Started teardown june 2020. Fully torn down and ive got the frame totally cleaned and painted 2/4 drop kit on it and all energy suspension poly bushings in all the suspension parts.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the rear brakes won't engage so well so i assume i need to replace the master cylinder i already replaced the shoes and cylinders on the rear.
Have you bled the RWAL ABS? My '88 has it's own bleeder screw. Fairly sure the '89s do, too.

The rear brakes are crap on the 1500s. They have tiny leading/trailing shoes; and they're kept in adjustment by using the park brake. Nobody uses the park brake, so they go way out of adjustment.

Check the glovebox decal, see if you have JB5 brakes. they have bigger pistons in the calipers, thicker rotors, a larger-bore master cylinder, and a bigger power booster. If you have JB/JN3, you get the crappy components up front. The rears are same either way.

Last edited:

Theredae92

Reaction score
Have you bled the RWAL ABS? My '88 has it's own bleeder screw. Fairly sure the '89s do, too.

The rear brakes are crap on the 1500s. They have tiny leading/trailing shoes; and they're kept in adjustment by using the park brake. Nobody uses the park brake, so they go way out of adjustment.

Check the glovebox decal, see if you have JB5 brakes. they have bigger pistons in the calipers, thicker rotors, a larger-bore master cylinder, and a bigger power booster. If you have JB/JN3, you get the crappy components up front. The rears are same either way.
I didn't realize the abs had to be bled separately. I only bled at the wheels. It measured 0 brakes on the rear first time i brought it to inspection and after replacing the cylinders and shoes since one cylinder had a tear on the rubber it barely got through the inspection. I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use my parking brake all the time. It still doesn't stay in adjustment.