'89 Fun daily build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wiring takes a lot of patience. It's not just about getting it to work but to keep it all tidy and accessible if you have to go back and make more changes later. i always start with too much cable and temp connect everything first to make sure it all works. Then I will go back and tie up and trim the cables while doing the permanent connections as I go. It also pays to right a list of what you have done and what colors you have used for new circuits so if you have to go back a year later you can trace each circuit from end to end while fault finding. On top of that, the factory looms are kept so tight and tucked away that to just try and get into the space requires standing on your head with your feet on the roof before realising you have left the tool you need on the workbench and there is no one there to pass it to you. It is certainly a young persons job I think. :)
Yea, I tried to find someone that knew what they were doing and I was more than willing to pay for the time it took for it to be done right. Between the two times that shop had it they messed up much more than the dash that I had to go back and fix or have someone else fix. The second trip ended up being something caused by their mistake and they still charged me for it. It was after that that I started looking into their work and found out how bad it was.

The second trip was to fix a rogue power drain, again that ended up being their fault, and it looked like they diagnosed it but just disconnecting things and reinstalling them wrong or in some cases just wrapping the cut wire around something. This was on top of them losing about $400 worth of gear.

The shop fixing it is taking photos, notes, and will be writing up a report of the issues, required fix, and cost to fix it so I have that if it becomes necessary.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shop that said "guess I'll have to take back 30 years of wiring experience" because I told them they did a sloppy job on my gauges. The job they did
Hey, 30 years of doing it wrong is still experience, right? God help me if they ever legalize slapping stupid people, my arm's gonna get sore.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had installer try to justify scotch locks cause he's used them for 20 years! Hahaha freakin silliness!!!
See, this is why I pay people to xo electrical work on the truck for me despite me knowing how and having the gear to do it right. I know where I cut corners, like using scotch locks, instead of doing it right and I don't want that kind of job on it

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New pump is working great, still a bit of play despite the pitman arm replacement.

Some good news, I managed to sell the React spindles locally. We talked OBS trucks for a bit and he asked if I had sloppy steering at one point and showed me an area my shop and I have been over looking, the upper steering shaft bearing. So I'll be getting one of these next, https://www.wolffeng.com/store/p2/M109SS_Lower_Steering_Column_Cartridge_Bearing.html

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm still getting a code 24 on occasion, so the speed sensor wasn't the issue.

It happens pretty rarely, only seems to do it when I'm in 2nd-4th holding at ~1500 RPM. The truck feels like it's *lightly* rocking back and forth, then the CEL comes on.