89 c2500 TH400 rebuild or replace???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tardisguy

Reaction score
Talladega was awesome!! Still waiting on my book. Tracking says its held up in Dallas. GRRRR!!!! I have been working on a cart to do my teardowns and work on. I was not impressed by the quality of anything in the stores so I decided build one.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great!

Seems like rebuilding trannies is all about being methodical on the disassembly. Need plenty of room to lay out parts. Also need room/way to secure the unit while tearing it apart. And holding it vertically for reassembly.

Do you have a parts washer? I never thought I would need one, but I've looking at that JEGS small table top unit. https://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performance-Products-Portable-Gallon/dp/B078WJ3QJB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U7LUVSI/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ADS57SGO12FNI

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Do you have a parts washer?

I bought the Harbor Freight parts washer, mounted it on a Harbor Freight furniture dolly, put a shut-off valve in place of the drain plug, and filled it with two cans of PSC-1000. However, I didn't use it at all for rebuilding my transmission. Unless your transmission was sitting open in a field, there won't be any mud in it. My transmission was clean, nothing had shelled out, so I just wiped parts off with clean rags, dipped them in new fluid, and installed them.

Pic of my parts washer. I was draining it back into the PSC cans to clean the sludge out of the bottom. Always wear gloves when using real solvent! The stuff is terrible for kidneys.
View media item 32496