89 C1500 Dash Gauges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildwest

Reaction score
I have a 89 Chevy C1500 with the factory slider "Moonie" gauges. The oil pressure gauge flickers after the engine is hot and driven quite a while. It will start to flicker while at a stop light, and sometimes it will go flat. Putting it in neutral always brings it back up to around 15 PSI. No problems while driving.

The amp gauge will flicker when the turn signal is on. Gas and temp gauges work fine. I'm thinking it may be a gauge issue for those two. I'm not familiar with this type of gauge cluster. Is there anything that can be done to check or repair these gauges without pulling the dash out first?

There is also no low fuel warning light on the dash. Would the "Check. Gauges' light come on if the tank gets too low?

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 89 Chevy C1500 with the factory slider "Moonie" gauges. The oil pressure gauge flickers after the engine is hot and driven quite a while. It will start to flicker while at a stop light, and sometimes it will go flat. Putting it in neutral always brings it back up to around 15 PSI. No problems while driving.

The amp gauge will flicker when the turn signal is on. Gas and temp gauges work fine. I'm thinking it may be a gauge issue for those two. I'm not familiar with this type of gauge cluster. Is there anything that can be done to check or repair these gauges without pulling the dash out first?

There is also no low fuel warning light on the dash. Would the "Check. Gauges' light come on if the tank gets too low?

By amp gauge I assume you mean voltage. I can tell you that my 94 also flickers with blinkers or hazards on. Probably related to the less than stellar hot idle output of the alternators in these trucks. I intend to upgrade mine to an ad244 (gmt800) alternator eventually.

Regarding the oil pressure- i wonder if that may be a pressure sending unit problem in your case?