88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Oh cool switch panel Where did you find the aux light switch! iv been looking for about 2 years!! and can’t find any thy told me to look in service truck but idk
Dave is THE hunter/gatherer of all things rare when it comes to GMT400s. The time he's spent finding that stuff, along with his attention down to the most minute details of his builds is nothing short of amazing.
He does sell some parts on occasion but since he's finished his '88, (The orange truck on the GMT400 F/B page header.) he's been spending a lot of time driving it, doing other stuff.
Likes his camping/dune riding. Working on his house.
He hasn't been on here in a while. Even his F/B time has slowed down.

You could try contacting Z71Hobbs. He's another that collects & sells the odd-ball/limited production bits & pieces for these trucks. Usually has a stash of multiple rarities.
Good guy to deal with, too.

Last edited:

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am almost done reading through this entire thread over the last week LOL. What is cool is that it is two threads in one.....a revitalized GMT400 AND a Cummins swap that came later after all the 454 data. I appreciate both of you guys documenting everything for us to glean info from. Now to finish the last 10 pages.

Reaction score
Dave is THE hunter/gatherer of all things rare when it comes to GMT400s. The time he's spent finding that stuff, along with his attention down to the most minute details of his builds is nothing short of amazing.
He does sell some parts on occasion but since he's finished his '88, (The orange truck on the GMT400 F/B page header.) he's been spending a lot of time driving it, doing other stuff.
Likes his camping/dune riding. Working on his house.
He hasn't been on here in a while. Even his F/B time has slowed down.

You could try contacting Z71Hobbs. He's another that collects & sells the odd-ball/limited production bits & pieces for these trucks. Usually has a stash of multiple rarities.
Good guy to deal with, too.
Thanks I appreciate it the tip Il look in to that

DanteGTZ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been a long while since I've logged on; I figured I'd make a quick post about the truck and what's coming up. First off, I've put about 25,000 miles on the truck since the Cummins swap. Aside from the head gasket issue early on, it's been dead reliable... just fighting the common oil leaks on the Cummins.

You must be registered for see images attach

I ended up swapping in a pair of Odyssey AGM batteries because I was killing the flooded batteries. The PAPerformance alternator is great, but keeps voltage ~14.2-14.5 volts pretty consistently. The AGMs seem happy with that.

Now for the big stuff that's happening. I've been slowly collecting some of the parts for my solid axle swap. I was able to find a complete front end from a 2006 F250 along with a set of front and rear axles from a 2009 F350 dually. Why 3 axles? The deals were too good to pass up and Ill sell whichever I dont use. Ultimately I'll be swapping both front and rear axles and running 8x200 wheels. It just made more sense to go this route as opposed to having to run adapters or redrill the hubs, etc... plus the larger brakes are a huge bonus!

I'm going to likely be running a 35" (or metric equivalent) AND likely going to 3.73 gears. The current setup with 4.11 gears just spins the engine too fast. I need a bit more MPH out of it to make highway speeds more relaxed. Picked up a set of 17" Ford wheels that I'll run initially, until I decide what the permanent wheels will be. Torn between an 18-20" set or maybe a 10 lug 22.5" (milled down to 22"). Don't want it to look obnoxious, but I do like the classic look of a polished semi wheel.

As for mounting the front suspension, I'll be using WFO Concept's Superduty swap kit, shown with everything here:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The reason for the SAS is multifaceted. First, the Cummins added a LOT of weight to the front end. I feel it's too much for the torsion bars to properly handle. The front suspension seems overwhelmed and isnt smooth. Additionally, my tire wear is appalling. I'm tired of the scrub and cupping that the IFS is allowing. Lastly, I just want the truck to sit higher. Coming from an F350 a few years ago, the GMT400s just sit too low for my taste and the lift just from the SAS should be just right. The 2005+ Superduty axle, along with a set of coilovers should help resolve these issues.

The SAS won't officially get underway until sometime in early 2023 but I'm super excited about it. The truck is so capable with the diesel, it just needs a proper suspension to match.

Oh, and I bought a cowl hood for the truck. The hood has a couple creases in it and the clearcoat is dying in the southern sun, so i figured I'd get a new hood before paint. Went with the Key Parts 2" "wide body" cowl hood. I would have preferred a 4" that swept back towards the hood just a bit, but i wanted to stick with a steel hood and couldnt find much selection. Seems like the Key Parts / Reflexxion hood is sold under quite a few different names, but theyre pretty much the same hood from what I can tell. I ended up scoring the hood from Summit, who did a price match for me. $380.99!!!

I'm sure I've forgotten to add something, but just wanted to post a quick update on recent stuff and future plans for the truck.

Last edited: