88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, I'm on here. I heard about the Black Fox from a guy on Facebook when I posted a "searching for" message on one of the 88-98 truck pages.

I found this thread in early December, went through all ~148 pages and then sent Dave a message. These days it seems like a lot of people do a lot of talking but very little follow through so I'm pretty sure he thought I was nuts when I said I was in Tennessee and interested in his truck in Washington. :) It took a decent amount of planning and prep to get the deal done. I've bought a fair amount of vehicles out of state (even one in Canada) and I was impressed with the amount of photographs and detail that Dave included.

All in all, the trip took us 5 days from start to finish, about 2600 miles. No major issues and all went fairly smooth. Spent over $550 in fuel but that was to be expected. Even after airfare, fuel, food and lodging it was still less expensive than having it shipped.

The truck feels almost new on the inside. It definitely doesn't feel like a 21 year old truck in the cab. A testament to Dave's hard work, for sure.

The truck will serve as the tow rig for our travel trailer, cargo trailer and flatbed when needed. Plans for the truck are small at the moment, as most of what I would have wanted to do was already done. Ultimately it may end up with a Cummins swap when the ~8-9mpg becomes unbearable. I've actually done 2 Cummins swaps in GMT400 trucks before and they seem to turn out really nice. One of the reasons I went back to an older truck after having many newer ones (diesels included) was simplicity. The simpler, the better, at least for my purposes.

I'll be around the forum time to time. Rest assured, the truck is in good hands.

Thanks,
Brian
Awesome to hear on all fronts! :waytogo: Sounds like the truck went to a great home.

99k3500ccsb

Reaction score
Welp, I think we've hit the "nickle and dime" stage of truck repairs. Last week while backing up i hit the brake pedal only to be treated to a harsh vibration and grinding sound..... only to have the same sound when I turn the truck. Welp, the power steering pump went out as well.

So, new pump was ordered along with a new pressure hose from a 96... Why a hose from a 96? Well, I got rid of the EVO steering valve on the pump... Installed that and all is well.

Then on a trip down to the junkyard, I FINALLY found a clean set of grey cloth bucket seats. I cannot express how happy it made me. And only for $100. As pulled from the junkyard...
You must be registered for see images attach

Hit them with the carpet cleaner and began tearing out the old 60/40 bench.

Awhile back I picked up a grey GMT800 console for this purpose. Been tripping over it in the garage for far too long. Spent about 5 hours measuring, cutting, shaping, trimming, coming up with ideas on how to mount it....... yeah. It was a process. Front console mounts are directly on the floor, and the rear needed raised up so I made a little bracket. The console profile is WAY off compared to the truck, It took a bit to make it look decent and there are still some gaps.

So much better! Now I have 2 USEABLE cupholders up front (that pull out dash abomination can die in a fire) and rear cupholders, something this truck desperately lacked. I also deleted t he rear seat nets. I think it's cleaner this way.

I also installed a set of Infinity component speakers in the front doors, will be installing a rear set tonight.
What did the center console come out of