88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Didn’t you in the last year replace the case because of bearing issues?
I installed this NV4500 in May 2016. In Dec 2016 the t-case made noise and i swapped it. 5th gear had backed off then as well, thought it was coincidence. Put it together and it lasted till now. Turns out 5th gear caused the issue...

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
the 88s looking pretty sad back there. sucks about 5th gear, do they make a lock nut retainer for the gm version?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Yeah... the 88 is kinda... backburner. I'm thinking I might start that in July?

And no, there is no GM 5th gear retainer nut, unfortunately.
well that sucks. if you were closer i could mill a couple flats in it and drill and tap the nut for set screws.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I demand more pictures of your friends ECLB. Is he running Alcoa rims? What size tire does he have on there? I've got a buddy trying to get me to buy his Alcoa rims but I don't know how I feel about running my 285s on such a narrow rim.

Just a heads up, the picture of those two trucks in the field is now my background on my laptop. It's better than brochure material.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
well that sucks. if you were closer i could mill a couple flats in it and drill and tap the nut for set screws.
Oh, it has that, three set screws, IIRC. Still backs off.
Nut has two set screws with brass pads under them...

I demand more pictures of your friends ECLB. Is he running Alcoa rims? What size tire does he have on there? I've got a buddy trying to get me to buy his Alcoa rims but I don't know how I feel about running my 285s on such a narrow rim.

Just a heads up, the picture of those two trucks in the field is now my background on my laptop. It's better than brochure material.
There are a few photos of it floating around my thread. Those are alcoas with factory caps, 265/75R16 Michelin LTX tires. 285s might be a bit much on them, they are a 16x7 rim.

I think Miller makes a universal retaining nut.

Nice stickers
Miller? it would have to be something NV4500 specific i think.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
..Miller welder. I was being a smart ass.

And you're right sir, that belongs in a GM brochure for sure. Lookin good

Last edited: