88 Suburban 350 running badly, poor mileage. TBI rebuild time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geocrasher

Reaction score
Started putting it together tonight to find out that I either lost one of the filters for an injector, or it's missing from the kit. And I threw all the old stuff away of course, long gone. Looks like I'll be ordering another rebuild kit.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

geocrasher

Reaction score
I went ahead and picked up a filter and got it put together today. I did the IAC reset procedure: 30 seconds on the jumper, pull the IAC plug, back off the idle screw, fire it up. It was idling around 2000 rpm (I'm guessing, I don't have a tach) and there was no way to get it to idle below what sounded like about 1000 rpm. I went ahead and reconnected the IAC and it idles, badly. The exhaust is slightly white and smells gassy and I think it's just running super rich.

I did make a mistake and fire it up with the MAP sensor disconnected at first (oops!) and it ran especially bad then. I've take a short video of the fuel spray at idle, perhaps someone can tell me if this is about right:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Clearly this is my first time doing this. I'm not dumb, and I'm not completely inept, but I do believe I've gone wrong somewhere here. Thanks for the assistance.

geocrasher

Reaction score
I did make an ALDL cable and found an Arduino sketch that purports to read the 160 baud data off the E connector. But, I wasn't able to make it work. I'm probably doing something wrong :) It's okay, I just decided to button it up for now so I can move onto some other things. I'm definitely going to revisit it.

The truck is idling better than before it seems, and it's not stall/surging as before. I took it on a shakedown run around town and then hopped on the highway and opened it up. Acceleration is back where it ought to be, and when I went WOT it downshifted the 700r4 and pushed me back in my seat. Hasn't done that in a while :) Despite that lack of instrumentation telling me it's all better, I'm calling it a success for now. I'll report back with more eventually.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck is idling better than before it seems,

So what happened between 7/15 and now? Last report I thought it was running rough? I’m wanting to do this IAC reset, but I feel I need some more electronic gadgets to do it.