88 Suburban 350 running badly, poor mileage. TBI rebuild time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geocrasher

Reaction score
Got it, thank you. I have another question: The bend in the vacuum port tube and the look of this Fuel Pressure Regulator leads me to believe that this is used to be adjustable and was for some reason welded shut. It just doesn't look stock. Can someone confirm? Or do they all look like this?

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM brazes the pressure regulator once they have it "properly" adjusted.

I've got two of them in pieces right now because I've screwed them up trying to make them adjustable. MAYBE I'll be able to salvage them. MAYBE.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bend in the vacuum port tube and the look of this Fuel Pressure Regulator leads me to believe that this is used to be adjustable and was for some reason welded shut.

You can get an AFPR, adapter, and pressure gauge from these guys,

http://www.rvmorsemachine.com/product.htm

geocrasher

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help thus far. I'm learning! I've never rebuilt an aluminum throttle body, and I find I'm having a hard time getting the old gasket material off. Rather than google it, I attacked it with a straight blade razor. When I saw little tiny bits of aluminum come off, I stopped! I was able to get most of the gaskets off without hurting the aluminum further, but I'm not able to get the remainder off. See the pic below. I've tried plastic scrapers etc but it just doesn't want to come off. Suggestions welcome.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aerosol carb spray to soften the paper gasket, then try scraping it off.

Last resort: I have a one-foot square of "double strength" glass. Put a piece of very fine sandpaper on the glass, wet it with solvent, carefully scrub the flat area of the casting gasket surface across the sandpaper.

You'll also find out right away whether the casting is warped.

MOSTLY, this is a process for reducing gear-to-end-plate clearance on oil pumps. But it works to remove stubborn gaskets if done with care.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help thus far. I'm learning! I've never rebuilt an aluminum throttle body, and I find I'm having a hard time getting the old gasket material off. Rather than google it, I attacked it with a straight blade razor. When I saw little tiny bits of aluminum come off, I stopped! I was able to get most of the gaskets off without hurting the aluminum further, but I'm not able to get the remainder off. See the pic below. I've tried plastic scrapers etc but it just doesn't want to come off. Suggestions welcome.

Same here. I gave up after a certain point once I felt it was as smooth and as flat as I was going to get it, hoping the new gasket will seal it up. I must admit I did give it a light pass with a honing stone, but when the aluminum started to show white, I stopped.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Same here. I gave up after a certain point once I felt it was as smooth and as flat as I was going to get it, hoping the new gasket will seal it up. I must admit I did give it a light pass with a honing stone, but when the aluminum started to show white, I stopped.

geocrasher

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I wish I could just afford to buy a rebuilt unit, that would be sweet! But it's not possible. I'm going to buy some solvent (chemtool or similar) and give it a soak and see if that won't take care of it. I'll get it as smooth as I can and rely on the gaskets to do their job otherwise. I'll report back of course.