88 Headlight switch wire colors (quick answer?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loosh

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Trying to have my aftermarket temp gauge light up with my cluster when I turn headlights on, which of these wires is the right guy to tie into? I’ve looked at every diagram I have but I can’t find this harness in any of them. I might be dumb and blind. I think it’s yellow or orange but I hate guessing. Thanks!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I installed my radio, the destructions said "Orange" was for illumination and "Yellow" was 12v key off power.
Have you tested for power or ground?

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use the grey wire from the dimmer switch. This is the standard wire used to illuminate the entire instrument panel. Optionally, to avoid having to splice into the harness, check out the convenience center under the dash. There are usually unused terminals down there that have the circuit you need. You can get pigtails for them out of the salvage yard.

Check out this diagram of it. In the middle row, the white connectors usually have the illumination circuit as well as a ground you can use to make the lights work. I wired up a tach using this and it worked quite well.

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Trying to have my aftermarket temp gauge light up with my cluster when I turn headlights on, which of these wires is the right guy to tie into? I’ve looked at every diagram I have but I can’t find this harness in any of them. I might be dumb and blind. I think it’s yellow or orange but I hate guessing. Thanks!
Have you found out what these wires do specifically or where they go?