'88 dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I also wired the front headlights using the relay technique..all junkyard stuff including one of the headlamps lol---- This is how I did it:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thats basically what I did several years ago. Works grate. I remember watching that video among a ton of others. It is a grate mod. Very effective.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thats basically what I did several years ago. Works grate. I remember watching that video among a ton of others. It is a grate mod. Very effective. Yes, all that current goes through the light switch without the relays. I am using a GM style light switch...I am using junkyard relays etc and even a junkyard headlamp and it seems to be much brighter!

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I got the engine running for 5 minutes last Sunday (it ran well with good oil pressure) but then leaks appeared (trans cooler fittings, carb feed,exhaust leak etc) and my neighbour complained. The timing was bad since she had a guest and for some reason the fumes entered her front entrance. She said I could try it again but let her know beforehand and she will close all her windows etc. I did let her know before starting the truck last Sunday but I think she underestimated the fume output.. There was a lot of fumes/smoke from the header paint curing. I will rent a big drum fan to push the fumes/smoke out for the next attempted engine break in..The trans also bucked (which made the truck jump) a few times even though it was in park. I will have to investigate. The rearend also doesn't lock in park, I will have to look into that..

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
newest vid...

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
The break in seems to have gone well, I will check the rockers for play to see if a cam lobe is wiped when I adjust the valves. I cut open the oil filter and didn't find any bad evidence. I though there was a transmission problem but I believe I adjusted the linkage incorrectly. anyways a short video of it running-- I need to adjust the carb as it seems to be running ultra rich

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Wow yeah that's some dark exhaust...looks like a diesel :biggrin:

How long before you think you'll get it on the street?

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Yes, it seems like it is over rich. I am going to remove the carb and "tune" it--I took a chance trying to run it out of the box.. It seems like other people had issues

On my application, a 5.3 LS converted carbureted, its common to have carburetors be a bit touchy. On first install this thing wouldn't run at all, but I loosened and set the choke to 90 degrees and then it would fire up. After tuning (I have a wideband AFR meter) for 2 days (had to drive it to work in between) it runs pig rich. You can play with the choke to get a semi-tolerable idle AFR but then you throttle it and it drops to 11-10. Even with the idles turned almost all the way in, and sizing down to a 28 Primary Nozzle, nothing. Actually ran richer at night in the cold weather. Today was going to swap the 68* primaries and 78* secondary jets out for some smaller ones I have laying around, well low and behold then sent the carb to me overjetted to hell. size 71 jets in the primaries (jammed way too tight) and 82 jets in the secondary. Just, not what it is supposed to have according to the info provided here, and if I had to venture a guess probably too rich for most applications without user operation to correct. *shrug* I'm going to pick up a jet kit and fine tune it, once I get it in operating range Ill provide an update on the quality, but definitely be aware yours may not arrive as advertised
By: COLE from NV

I am hoping to have it on the street in the fall but I know the diff needs some work. With my luck and the challenges I face it might be spring lol..I am way more motivated now that it is running though! Here is a pic of a "sooty" spark plug I pulled

Attachments

• DSC04620 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04620 (Medium).JPG
    80 KB · Views: 3

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
bad news boys, a flat tappet lifter failed..I ordered a retro roller camshaft kit from Howards it will arrive in a month or so
..In the meantime I will check out the differential and get a temp sender fabbed up.. here is a short video

Attachments

• DSC04630 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04630 (Medium).JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC04632 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04632 (Medium).JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 3

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
A little update here, I ordered the cam back in Aug and it should be arriving sometime in Dec?? Once I receive the cam I will bring the engine to a good local machine shop and get the cam installed; as well as check all the other components. I will also get it dyno tested to insure it runs right! I don't want to remove this whole deal again!
In the meantime I finished installing the interior. I put some "Kilmat" on the floor (Dynomat knock off) and installed the seats. I installed a used rubber floor mat. The interior looks alright, it is a mix of different stuff from the existing truck and stuff I picked up along the way. Does beige and red match lol???? When I bought the truck someone had already removed the headliner and other various interior pieces. The differential checked out OK and I did the temp sender welded. Hopefully the next update is the engine is at the machine shop.

Attachments

• DSC04664 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04664 (Medium).JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC04665 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04665 (Medium).JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 8

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Here is a video on the interior..