'88 dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, all bulbs seem to work but it seems as if there is different bulbs for the brake lights and tail light/turn signals..I will get the specific bulbs for each circuit and see what happens..For the Howard's camshaft, on the dyno the engine made 307 hp and 397 foot lbs torque..So far the idle is smooth
Should be 3056/3156 (single filament) in very bottom socket for the reverse lights, and 3057/3157 (dual filament) for the other two sockets, even though the top socket (taillight) only burns one filament, the factory puts a dual filament bulb there.

Richard

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Should be 3056/3156 (single filament) in very bottom socket for the reverse lights, and 3057/3157 (dual filament) for the other two sockets, even though the top socket (taillight) only burns one filament, the factory puts a dual filament bulb there.

Richard
Thanks Richard! Hopefully it is a simple as a replacement bulbs..I was getting the same issue when I didn't have my front bulbs installed. I thought it was because they weren't installed and this caused the problem, other than that perhaps the blinker relay might not be compatible. I am using one from the Speedway universal wiring kit OR perhaps the tail light circuit board..

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I installed the 4 new 3057s and the same issue..I removed the flasher while it was flashing rapidly and it still did the same..hmmm.. it did the same thing even when only the rear lights were in. I am using a Speedway universal wiring harness, with this old style relay-- relay..https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bss-no552?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjw7cGUBhA9EiwArBAvoozoOlgwdJQe5pQDasbpl0Ia_UKGwuDyajPoKhx7Y60cQgQSHsMuKBoC3GQQAvD_BwE perhaps I need to use a year appropriate relay which matches the circuit board in for the circuit boards in the tail lights..

Last edited:

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Played with it a bit more and confirmed all bulbs work, grounds seem good..I moved the F552 flashers from Hazzard light to blinkers outlets on the fuse panel and it seemed to make a difference on the flash rate. I even got the hazard lights to flash at the correct rate but then reverted to hyperflash mode. Perhaps there isn't enough resistance on the '88 stock blinker system for the F552 flashers? I could install one of these "electrotonic flashers" to get the resistance level correct???
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
The Grote 44891 fixed the hyper-flash turn signal problem
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I dropped off the leaky steering box at the local rebuilders, I figure they will do a much better job than buying one off the shelf..I frigged up the pitman arm stud again little did I know that there is a specific puller for that job..considering going back to a clutch fan setup and ditching the electric fan setup, perhaps go with the 11 blade fan from a S-10 etc..I want to get this plated and insured and tow the drag car home with it!

Attachments

• steering box.jpg
    steering box.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 7

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I installed the rebuilt steering box and it doesn't appear to leak? BUT there are some small PS leaks still lingering after some PS/hydraulic system tuning. I am considering moving on and getting the PS/hydraulic leak free later. I might spend a lot of time trying to get it totally leak free. For now, the leak "dots" appearing in the pictures took a few days to appear on the cardboard. There are some "sweat PS fluid areas" on some of the components that need investigating. I also got on "sidebar of frivolity" and mostly installed a air horn setup I bought from a swap meet last month. It plays the theme song from the Godfather movie. I am hoping to install the gas tank and fuel lines next. Speaking of gas, I have a small leak area in the carb as well. I am looking to getting some rear tires (used ones), the tire size is 225/75/16LT. I have 2 non LT fronts (one is leaking) hoping I can keep these going for the year..

Attachments

• DSC04779 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04779 (Medium).JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC04784 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04784 (Medium).JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC04783 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04783 (Medium).JPG
    170 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC04780 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04780 (Medium).JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 8

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Bought some tires, 4 rear used and 2 new fronts. The truck looks way better with the dual wheels in the back. For the used tires, I got (4) 8 lug aluminum American racing rims that fit a 2000's GM van. Perhaps someone will buy them. Hopefully solved PS line leak with new o-ring install. Put gas tank in with some assistance running some AN -6 hose. The carb has a small leak, I removed it and I think I traced it down to the rear metering block screws being loose. I have the carb on the bench at the moment checking to see if any leaks under the base plate occur..hopefully not..I bought another electric fan controller kit. I figured it would be worth a chance on getting the electric fan to work instead of aborting ang going with a clutch fan setup.. waiting for a few Amazon fittings to arrive.

Attachments

• DSC04800 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04800 (Medium).JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC04794 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04794 (Medium).JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC04801 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04801 (Medium).JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC04802 (Medium).JPG
    DSC04802 (Medium).JPG