'88 dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
No worries, sometimes I ain't exactly clear in the videos' am just doing it off the top of my head with no script.. Thanks for letting me know.
Yes, I am hoping to use the "GM mini starter". They are lighter to lift up for the install and more powerful. I am bringing it in to a "Autozone" type store to get it tested on a machine. Perhaps it might work after all! If not put it aside and get it fixed one day. The "older style" one I have works for now.

If it doesn't work, you might as well recycle it. It will cost more to have someone rebuild it than what you can buy a new one for. I'm going to try to get mine rebuilt only because it's my original OEM, I know the history, and being an OEM starter it's high quality. I suppose you being in Canada may have a different situation. In the US there aren't many local places that will rebuild starters anymore.

The bolts are more than length.... it's diameter. The knurling is important.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Actually there is a place in town that rebuilds alternators/starters etc..My friend (from high school) Dad owns the place.. Ascot Alternator
.but if the mini starter doesn't operate then I might just get a new one down the road. It might cost more to fix it.
Interesting about the starter bolts, they are all a 3/8 coarse thread but different lengths and knurling etc. The one that I have in my drag car uses studs and nuts..

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Well it has been awhile. I got some extra $ from Christmas and bought a new power steering pump, some PS lines, a heavy duty water pump and a new serpentine belt. I installed the PS pump but one thing I should mention, the "teardrop" style power steering pump reservoir (from 88-89) uses a different "back support bracket" than the 90 and up TBI 2 piece brackets. The 90 and up had a squarer style reservoir. I modified/created a bracket to support the back of the PS pump. I also had to modify the 90 and up "back" alt/ps bracket to fit the headers. I read that some guys just delete it but I felt some bracing would still be good.
I am currently working on the shift linkage and exhaust. I verified the proper disptick fluid level on the trans. I was luckily able to obtain a stock TH 400 dipstick from the yard a few years ago. I still had to make a small bracket for the dipstick tube to fit on the trans bellhousing. I am going to install a better trans pan as I never had luck with the stocker. I got a deal on a aluminum B&M TH-400 pan and a nice Moroso pan gasket. I am using the same setup on the drag car and no leaks. It should be leak free!

You must be registered for see images attach

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I was wondering what was up with this thing lately!

Yes, I gotta keep at it or it will be another 6 years! I also installed a speedometer (from the racecar when it was a street car) , the cable was short and it will likely be a bit off. It looks "jenky" for sure...I might get a GPS speedometer or perhaps just use a old cel phone with a downloaded speedometer app..

Last edited:

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I am close to finishing exhaust system, it turned out OK. We are limited to what we can do with that fuel tank blocking the driver side space. It is good that they moved the gas tank inside the frame rails as compared to the squares which were outside. I read this caused fires...Anyways, hoping to redo the exhaust one day to make it nicer. I dropped the HEI distributor in, installed the B&M tans pan..

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
New video for more detailed explanation..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It is good that they moved the gas tank inside the frame rails as compared to the squares which were outside. I read this caused fires...

There was video of that, but it was later found to be faked. I think it was a model rocket engine that was used to ignite the tank.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I have been fighting a power steering pump reservoir leak for awhile. I must of pulled off the PS pulley 4 times lol. I wrecked one puller kit and was luckily able to exchange it thanks Princess Auto. I finally figured it out the leak, it was the fitting to case area (as pictured). I put a O ring in that area (from a hydraulics shop). I should have remembered this was a leak point as I had the same leak when my drag car was a street car 17 years ago. I thought I had the leaked fixed on the PS reservoir, but the return line pipe is leaking as well. I will put 33 tack welds and some epoxy to seal it! Hopefully that does it!
Now that I am confident about no leaks in the PS pump/reservoir, I will install the rad core with 2 new bushings. I will buy a new Spectra CU 624 rad and hoses and install them. I also got the 2 piece driveshaft redone with new u-joints etc, and it was balanced. I have line a used trans cooler with the an fittings and hose. Hopefully I can secure this,
I also went to the yard and investigated the front grill lighting situation etc for converting to a 95-98 grill in a 88-94 application. I know there are some bumper brackets etc I need to get but didn't want to roll around in the snow removing them..

Last edited: