'88 dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Not much to report at the moment. I am getting real low on funds. I am trying to do things to keep the project going that don't cost anything. I installed the starter that originally came with the truck. I have a GM "mini starter" 1996+ staggered bolt pattern but it doesn't work (I might bring it in to get tested)..So I installed the older "rebuilt" starter and it did work (see video)..I installed some welding cable to wire the starter. Other than that I made a list to at least keep the project going..

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
No bux things to do to the truck, sounds like something I could write about LOL! I think our trucks are trying to teach us patience.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Watched the video..... that mini-starter looks like a cheap replacement, it's not OEM if that's what you meant by stock.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Watched the video..... that mini-starter looks like a cheap replacement, it's not OEM if that's what you meant by stock.

Thank you for watching the video! What I define by stock starter is one bought as a stock replacement from (for example) a auto parts store. Now there is a difference between OEM vs aftermarket parts but I just use stock to describe them. I just use the word stock to describe a standard replacement. For me aftermarket starter manufactures like Tilton etc would be aftermarket. The mini starter is based on a series of starters that GM produced from 1996 on. This would be considered "stock" for me..if you went to a auto parts store and ordered a replacement starter for a 1996 Silverado with a SBC this is what you would get..

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...781756/1996/chevrolet/c1500-pickup-rwd?pos=18

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
No bux things to do to the truck, sounds like something I could write about LOL! I think our trucks are trying to teach us patience.

Thanks for watching the video! Yes, patience for sure!.. I am hoping for no more project cars for a long time! I just want to bracket race...The only thing I would consider is if my son I wanted to build one together. He is only 17 months old right now, so who even knows if gasoline will be around when he can get his license...

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thank you for watching the video! What I define by stock starter is one bought as a stock replacement from (for example) a auto parts store....

I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd mention it. Those mini-starters sure are small, but they work really well.... so much easier to remove/install. My original lasted a very long time too, before it started getting intermittent.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
No worries, sometimes I ain't exactly clear in the videos' am just doing it off the top of my head with no script.. Thanks for letting me know.
Yes, I am hoping to use the "GM mini starter". They are lighter to lift up for the install and more powerful. I am bringing it in to a "Autozone" type store to get it tested on a machine. Perhaps it might work after all! If not put it aside and get it fixed one day. The "older style" one I have works for now.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No worries, sometimes I ain't exactly clear in the videos' am just doing it off the top of my head with no script.. Thanks for letting me know.
Yes, I am hoping to use the "GM mini starter". They are lighter to lift up for the install and more powerful. I am bringing it in to a "Autozone" type store to get it tested on a machine. Perhaps it might work after all! If not put it aside and get it fixed one day. The "older style" one I have works for now.
Be sure to get the correct shorter bolts for that mini-starter, absolutely necessary.

Richard

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Yes, I seem to have collected several sets of starter mounting bolts of the years.. The long ones seem to be for the "larger starter"