'88 dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hello Wilson, actually this week I am hoping to put the dually back in my garage. I would have to put the race car in good storage place and then bring the dually from a "family farm" to my house. A "life situation" has occurred and I will have more time now that I would like to take advantage of. We will see though. If I am able to being it back to my garage:
I would like to rewire the truck using a universal speedway wiring kit I bought. This also means reverting back to a non-ac HVAC, I actually sourced such a system a few months ago...We will see

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I am going with a universal wiring harness; and I figure it would be pretty complicated to try incorporate the GM AC system into the wiring etc. I have experience with the non-AC systems in the earlier version of re-wiring my Monte.I am just trying to simplify the truck as much as possible. Perhaps one day, I will install a aftermarket AC system and when I re-do the current one I will try to keep easier to install. I am planning on using a mechanical fuel pump as well.

ZWilson07

Reaction score
I am going with a universal wiring harness; and I figure it would be pretty complicated to try incorporate the GM AC system into the wiring etc. I have experience with the non-AC systems in the earlier version of re-wiring my Monte.I am just trying to simplify the truck as much as possible. Perhaps one day, I will install a aftermarket AC system and when I re-do the current one I will try to keep easier to install. I am planning on using a mechanical fuel pump as well.

I can tell ya slready have your mind made up lol

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
OK so this project is restarted now! I got the truck towed to my garage and put the race car in storage. I will focus on the truck and get it on the road... I dropped by the UPull today to scout for parts (tomorrow is all you can carry for $60). I found a 88-94 big block powered GMT-400 (aka BBC GMT) and the rad is a lot bigger than mine. I will grab it tomorrow, hopefully it is still good I will bring it to a rad shop to get tested/flushed. I also am missing a lot of the rad hardware so I will get it at the same time. I am also missing my wiper motor so I will get that. I will also try to get some broken interior pieces.
I will also start to remove the front bumper and rad support etc to make it easier to get access. The truck is a tight fit in the garage and if I can improve my access it will really help. I will also get the wheel dollies to help move it around. In one of my pics I have a piece that looks bent (I wrote a note on it)? Does anyone know if this supposed to be bent? I will also include pictures with descriptions to explain what is going on...

You must be registered for see images attach

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I went to the yard and pulled the rad from the BBC GMT-400 but to my disappointment it was in bad shape..I ended up getting another rad from a diesel but after I did all the work and pulled it I noticed that there is no pressure cap on the rad! It seems like the diesels used the pressure cap on the overflow...At this point I had to choose between a likely cost prohibitive rebuild on a copper rad or take the much newer alumunium rad and make a pressure cap work down the road. I choose the aluminium, I also got a lot of other parts (wiper motor, wiper arms lots of brackets) so hopfully I did alright there..

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I got the rad core support off, I would like to replace the rad core support bushings using this Dorman kit..
DORMAN 924010 https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/products/auto-parts/dorman/924010/
Is the pictured piece a hydraulic system oil cooler? I also want to put a "top post" battery in it. It might take come fab work as I would like to also do away with the rubber mount battery hold down--- Next up is to remove all the unnecessary pieces in the engine bay like Eric the car guy did with his Dad's truck..Then start on the interior

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That cooler is for the power steering. If your core support bushings are junk, then I'd bet money your body mount bushings are hammered too. My core support bushings were pristine on my 1500 but the body mount ones were hammered and rotted out. I was surprised because the rest of the truck has zero rust.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Yes, they probably are in need of replacing..Do most people use the poly bushings?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
DO NOT use poly! I came up short on rubber front cab mounts last year when I was replacing all that crap so installed a couple poly bushings I had laying around and the damn truck would knock your teeth out. It was comically bad, unrealistically bad, holy ****** **** bad. It was absolutely ridiculous. I put 2 junkyard fresh rot free rubbers back in and man what a difference. To use the diesel radiator, just grab the coolant reservoir from it as that is where the cap lives.