88 Chevy K 1500 Scottsdale Oil Pan Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
The plastic pieces are probably pieces from the nylon coated camshaft timing gear. They are prone to failure, if you already have the oil pan off I would check the timing gear set. I have only seen ONE of these nylon coated gears that was intact and it was cracked in many places just waiting to come apart. It is also possible that someone already replaced the timing set and did not remove and clean the oil pan...

Would this be the nylon coated camshaft timing gear you are thinking I should check and replace if needed?

You must be registered for see images attach

Or do you mean I should pull the entire camshaft out?

BBSteve

Reaction score
It is hard to make a guess what the plastic debris in your oil pan is without seeing what it looks like. Through past experience with the 1960-1980 Gm Chevy engines, both small blocks and Big blocks all had these nylon coated camshaft drive gears. They are prone failure with large and small chunks of plastic looking material clogging up the pickup tube mounted to the oil pump. If there is plastic/nylon looking chunks in the oil pan and the oil pump pickup. I would guess the that timing gear on the camshaft has went south. Better the timing set just to be sure

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
I found a hv oil pump from summit racing and the only reason i bought it was because the oil screen and arm are welded to the pump and it all came as one part. Will putting a hv oil pump ruin my stock 350 v8 5.7 l engine? Should i return it or wuld i be fine. I have no intension of racing this truck.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I would not use a high volume oil pump without other modifications. I'd return it and get a standard one.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Had to do this job on my 99C1500 suburban a few years ago. My dad could still help me with truck repairs then and he came up with a wood block with a half circle notch in it to fit the bottom of the crank snout. We'd started out doing an oil change, found out the water pump was going out, Chevy with 160 thou.on the clock, do the timing set, so the pan had to come off. There's a windage tray in the pan and another one bolted to the main caps. These were getting caught in each other, so we had to pull the motor mount bolts out and jack up the engine. Just needed a couple inches, did it slowly with a bottle jack. Put it back together, all good. Hope this helps

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've lowered the front axle to get the oil pan off twice. 3 bolts and it swings down a few inches, just enough to allow you to get the oil pan off.
Didn't mess with lifting the engine.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any tips on doing motor mounts on a 97 k1500 Vortec?

I only have a floor jack and jack stands. I prob need to do oil pan gasket anyway.

Drop front diff, remove oil pan then lift engine with jack and block of wood on oil pan mating surface to do mounts?

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
Some people change the oil pan by just lifting the engine which you will need to do anyhow to replace the engine mounts. I would lift engine slighty and not drop the diff like I did. Many times you need to completey loosen the cv axel to get the front diff back on. Remove distributor cap when rasing the engine. Replace all the rubber that is cracked on mounts. If bolts are bad replace those also.