88 Chevy K 1500 Scottsdale Oil Pan Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for responding with the great advice! I will post again when I complete the work.

Let us know. Some YouTube videos on this. Search 350 or 5.7 oil pan gasket.

Not too bad of a job on 2wd but 4wd is a PITA. everything I’ve read says you need to hoist engine with engine hoist and drop front diff down to remove oil pan.

I need to do this on my 1997 k1500. It could use timing chain cover and gasket as those are known to crack. Has 210k on original engine and tans. Small oil leak in front (prob timing cover) and on bell housing (oil pan leak?). I changed valve cover gaskets and it helped a little. Oil filter adapter gasket and oil cooler lines took care of big leaks.

Been living with the small drips for now...

Have you searched GMT400 forum?

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
I got my oil pan dropped by taking off front diff. Why would I have plastic peices in my oil tank?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I got my oil pan dropped by taking off front diff. Why would I have plastic peices in my oil tank?

It is possible that the oil pump drive sleeve has disintegrated due to age/heat. It is a common failure on older high mileage engines. You can replace the oil pump drive shaft with one that has a steel sleeve on it for 10/15 bucks.

Post a pic of the plastic pieces and maybe it will help identify the source

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
Oil pump looks to be in good shape? Thoughts? I do not know the last time this was changed got this truck about 6m ago.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
If i get a new oil pump will i need to prime the oil pump even if this is not a rebuild and i just was changing the oil pan gasket and figured i would change oil pump knowing it is open?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Well it is not the drive shaft sleeve as yours is intact. The pump will self prime. As long as you are changing the pump buy a steel sleeved drive shaft while the pump is out and that will eliminate any issues with the plastic sleeve down the road. It is a good idea to pull the new pump apart and make sure that is does not have any metal in it from the manufacturing process, just pay attention to the orientation of the driven gear and do not install it up side down.

samevo

Reaction score
I did the gasket change in my truck which is the same as yours(88 Chevy Scottsdale). I unbolted the engine mounts used a 2x4 cut off roughly to the size of 10 inch. Then I used my floor jack and put the 2x4 against the engine balancer. Also took off my distribution cap. If I'd had a engine hoist at the time I would have used it over my floor jack. Maybe I'm too late to this.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jacking by the balancer is just not a good idea. The outer ring is mounted to the center with rubber. If it ends up partially separated it's not doing it's job and the outer ring is the last thing you want flinging the flip off. LOL . Small block cast cranks aren't exactly known for having the strongest snout either.

BBSteve

Reaction score
The plastic pieces are probably pieces from the nylon coated camshaft timing gear. They are prone to failure, if you already have the oil pan off I would check the timing gear set. I have only seen ONE of these nylon coated gears that was intact and it was cracked in many places just waiting to come apart. It is also possible that someone already replaced the timing set and did not remove and clean the oil pan...