88 Chevy K 1500 Scottsdale Oil Pan Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
I have an 88 chevy k1500 Scottsdale V8 5.7 liter. I recently decided to change the oil pan gasket because it is leaking oil. I drained the oil, removed the oil filter, unbolted and removed the oil filter housing, disconnected the battery, unbolted the starter (swung to side with bungy cord), removed the fly wheel shield, skid plate (shield that protects diff case?), unbolted all the oil pan bolts.

The oil pan is completely free and can be moved about an inch now, but there is not enough room to remove the oil pan? The front differential case and tube seem to be in the way? Do I need to drop the entire front Differential or can only the case be removed, so that room can be made to extract the oil pan? If so, how do I drop the front differential to free up space to remove the oil pan? Would I need to take apart the entire front suspension to drop the diff?

Any help would be great - thanks!

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remove the motor mount bolts, lift the engine a couple inches, should clear.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
One more item, if I use the floor jack where on the engine can I jack up the engine?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not too
One more item, if I use the floor jack where on the engine can I jack up the engine?
I'm not familiar at all with this series. I was under the impression that removing the front differential was required...
If you lift with a floor jack, aren't you lifting the oil pan? How can you remove it?

I suppose lifting the engine via engine hoist will work.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd either cherry pick from above or crank off of the balancer from below.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't jack the engine up using the balancer, that doesn't seem like it would be good on seals, bearings, the balancer itself, etc. I agree with the hoist from above idea though.

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
Thanks for responding with the great advice! I will post again when I complete the work.