88-98 Bucket seat alternatives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm aware. They came out of a truck that had an interior conversion package. They're nice, but not my style.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I have most certainly read all 52 pages, and several questions in my head were answered as to what fits and what don't. I was considering the 99-06 seats as a replacement for my aftermarket bench, the kind with wood "cup holders" that really don't hold anything. It is setup on a very heavy duty rail setup with two bolts each side, and has me curious if I can get said seats mentioned above to mount up to my existing seat rail.

This seat setup I have now replaced the well worn factory bench and was acquired not long after I bought my truck which was in 2015. This seat has become uncomfortable for drives as my lower back is victim to injury sustained in Iraq, and I have been on the hunt for something different.

I certainly understand my seat thoughts are going to be a custom fit, and that's not something I am afraid of considering I have completed a dash swap which included countless hours of rewiring and figuring how to make things work properly.

I hope to acquire a newer set of seats here at the end of the month when I get paid again. Unlike some others, I will certainly report my findings and figuring. I mean hell if I can make a 97-98 dash work in a 94 model truck to include working heat with the correct year controls, I can figure out seat mounting.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently took my truck to an upholstery shop and they used my stock bucket seats. Just added some more foam in the right places. Since these seats are hard to get the old material off of they just went over the old material. You cant see it at all. Great modification to get some more comfort out of the seat!

Hump

Reaction score
Does anybody know whether the front and rear seats out of a 2003 extended cab can be fit into a 1988 extended cab? I found a deal on a set of heated power leather bucket seats and console out of a 2003 model.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI I had the OEM seats for my truck and I rushed headlong into having them recovered in a newer style material, they turned out Ok , not real happy with them but water under the bridge as they say.
What I really don't like is how HIGH they seem to sit, so I went to the bone yard last week and found a set of seat bases from a donor 90 truck. They are at the fabricators as we speak, I cut 1&1/2" out of the center of them and they are being welded together as we speak, hopefully it works out!!
I'll post a follow up if you care
Bobby V

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

So I have them back and installed, what a difference, instead of feeling like Im sitting on them I now feel that Im sitting IN THEM if you get my drift, money WELL SPENT !!!!!!:cheers:

Last edited:

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I have most certainly read all 52 pages, and several questions in my head were answered as to what fits and what don't. I was considering the 99-06 seats as a replacement for my aftermarket bench, the kind with wood "cup holders" that really don't hold anything. It is setup on a very heavy duty rail setup with two bolts each side, and has me curious if I can get said seats mentioned above to mount up to my existing seat rail.

This seat setup I have now replaced the well worn factory bench and was acquired not long after I bought my truck which was in 2015. This seat has become uncomfortable for drives as my lower back is victim to injury sustained in Iraq, and I have been on the hunt for something different.

I certainly understand my seat thoughts are going to be a custom fit, and that's not something I am afraid of considering I have completed a dash swap which included countless hours of rewiring and figuring how to make things work properly.

I hope to acquire a newer set of seats here at the end of the month when I get paid again. Unlike some others, I will certainly report my findings and figuring. I mean hell if I can make a 97-98 dash work in a 94 model truck to include working heat with the correct year controls, I can figure out seat mounting.

The newer gmt800 seats are not a direct bolt on and will not work on your existing seat frames. I am in the middle of finishing the two bucket and center console seat swap to replace my factory bench. Custom center console frame, custom seat bracket adapters, and custom seat track for the passenger side. You may not need to modify the passenger seat but the tranny tunnel is in the way. I didnt want to take a hammer to the tunnel so i modified the seat.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Does anybody know whether the front and rear seats out of a 2003 extended cab can be fit into a 1988 extended cab? I found a deal on a set of heated power leather bucket seats and console out of a 2003 model.

The fronts can be made to fit with modification, not sure on the rear. The gmt400's have a square bar coming from the c pillar and the rear seat is bolted at each end. The gmt800 has a frame that bolts to the floor.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
The newer gmt800 seats are not a direct bolt on and will not work on your existing seat frames. I am in the middle of finishing the two bucket and center console seat swap to replace my factory bench. Custom center console frame, custom seat bracket adapters, and custom seat track for the passenger side. You may not need to modify the passenger seat but the tranny tunnel is in the way. I didnt want to take a hammer to the tunnel so i modified the seat.

Thanks for the information. I gave up on the idea for the lack of tools after realizing that GM went to inverted torx fasteners and I don’t have a welder for bracket fabrication.

I went with the old tried and true GMT400 buckets and console in place of my worn out bench seat.