(88-94) Wanted a new radio with factory looks and modern features, RetroSound installed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeinthepnw

Reaction score
It was pretty much plug and play once you get the factory crap out of the way. Not much different than installing a regular aftermarket radio.

Today I added a couple Pyle 4x6 speakers to the front (dash) to replace the originals. Big difference but man it could use some bass. The rear speakers don't work (yet), just need to take the time to get that ironed out and then I'll add a couple more speakers in the rear. A small sub would be nice, but I'm not taking it that far.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was pretty much plug and play once you get the factory crap out of the way. Not much different than installing a regular aftermarket radio.

Today I added a couple Pyle 4x6 speakers to the front (dash) to replace the originals. Big difference but man it could use some bass. The rear speakers don't work (yet), just need to take the time to get that ironed out and then I'll add a couple more speakers in the rear. A small sub would be nice, but I'm not taking it that far.
Most likely the rear speakers are just open, the wires to them are likely just fine. The fun part is getting at them if you have the high trim package. The cheaper trucks you just pop off the cover and replace the speaker. Once you get at them the rear speakers should be easy.

dudeinthepnw

Reaction score
Most likely the rear speakers are just open, the wires to them are likely just fine. The fun part is getting at them if you have the high trim package. The cheaper trucks you just pop off the cover and replace the speaker. Once you get at them the rear speakers should be easy.

Yeah, haven't even looked to be honest - it's just a generic 1990 2500 Single cab, nothing fancy, manual windows/doors all that fun stuff.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yAHHOOO, I just found this replacement Retrosound unit on the internet and wondered if it would work. Looks like it will. I had bought the adaptors to remove the radio head and cassette player in order to insert a one din radio in its place. Problem is the JVC radio I bought is terrible. First I don't understand how to program these new complex radios. When I did get some of the EQ settings right, they would change when I went from Bluetooth to FM or AM. Hated it, so researched Retrosound and found the Santa Cruz radio replacement. Glad to hear it does work pretty good. Question, it looks like it only drives 4 speakers, will it drive the 6 in my Suburban?

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Radios. Just got a Primo SW, it helps me sleep, cause? When I was a kid, and it was bedtime, never heard any English from the awake adults. All Good

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yAHHOOO, I just found this replacement Retrosound unit on the internet and wondered if it would work. Looks like it will. I had bought the adaptors to remove the radio head and cassette player in order to insert a one din radio in its place. Problem is the JVC radio I bought is terrible. First I don't understand how to program these new complex radios. When I did get some of the EQ settings right, they would change when I went from Bluetooth to FM or AM. Hated it, so researched Retrosound and found the Santa Cruz radio replacement. Glad to hear it does work pretty good. Question, it looks like it only drives 4 speakers, will it drive the 6 in my Suburban?
It should be able to drive 4 speakers in the rear. I expect you might need to play with the balance control in order to make the rear 4 play at a good volume with the front 2. For normal sane volume levels you should be OK. Let us know how it turns out and add to the knowledge base on these radios.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 1993 Ext/Cab I put two Critical Mass speakers up front and a pair of Alpine 6X9 speakers.

Hurry and look on eBay a pair of front speakers like mine on sale.

dudeinthepnw

Reaction score
I read that it doesn't have a cd player, but I guess Pandora and Sirius would be ok.

No CD player, but I'm fine with that and most people are these days. You get aux/bluetooth etc which is what I'd venture the majority of people use anymore these days. The aux/bluetooth cables also come out the back and down the bottom of the dash so it can be hidden and just adds to that "factory' look. I added a couple Pyle 4x6 Speakers in the dash. No desire to put a "system" in it, those are the only two speakers and aside from the lack of bass, they're plenty for me in all honesty. I also have a single cab, so it doesn't take 18 speakers to make it necessary to hear things lol.

Lazybones

Reaction score
What did you do for the "hole" in the center of the dash where the factory cassette was?