88-94 vs. 95-98 Interior Debate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Nope. Neither of my trucks = W/T.
My '97. A Silverado. No power anything. No tilt. Stickshift.
My '98. A Sierra. Tilt, cruise & air. No power windows or mirrors.
True, I forgot you could get a Silvy without all the fancy options. Hell, I found out a couple years ago you could get some Silvys with power windows+locks but no power mirror, or no PW+PM but had power locks. Funky sh*t.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 91, don't think I've even been in a 95+. So I guess I'm partial to the old/OG style. But what I do miss is options for different color interiors!!! I don't think I have really seen color options on any new trucks until you get into the "western" style then it goes from grey to brown. At most you may get some seat trim different, but not anything else!!!! Rant over. Lol

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a '94, and, while I'd probably like tan better because almost every older car I've been in was tan (mine's blue), I think I like the 88-94 interior better overall because of the clean, sharp, angular lines that match the truck's exterior. I also like the gauges and the radio layout, though I do wish it had a more modern set of features, like an aux in for an iPod or something (it's fairly trivial to piggyback one onto the tape decks harness, just have to find the time and the nerve to do it).

As for the seats, I guess something's wrong with the padding on mine or something, because they hurt my back if I drive for more than an hour or so. They are in very good cosmetic condition, but I think I may have to replace them with something more comfortable (I started a thread for that topic, so I won't go on about it too much more here).

I've never driven or been a passenger in a 95+ (that I can remember), but I've seen quite a few in passing, and they look... okay; certainly more modern looking than the 88-94s, which feels more blah to me.

c

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
At 392,000 miles, my '88 GMC C2500 reg cab I had the seat reupholstered like OEM. Always had a dash cover .... I liked the simplicity of the interior. ( Ignore the steering wheel leather cover... I removed it... the light color was an issue)
...since sold to a collector guy in Germany... 4 years ago I bought a PERFECT 2005 Yukon XL SLT.
( If you look closely, between the top steering wheel & dash, I had a GPS that fit perfect in that useless cubby hole )

Attachments

• 20180418_114448.jpg
    20180418_114448.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20180418_114541.jpg
    20180418_114541.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 39

1994suburban

Reaction score
I like the 88-94 myself. The seats in the 95 and up are just all around uncomfy, and they feel like they have less room with the giant dash and "thicker" door panels. But the one thing I do like is the window switches are horizontal which of course adds to the "thicker" panel. Theres just no satisfying me lol
The suburban/blazer/Tahoe door panels have the horizontal window switches and I agree the dash is not nearly as visually appealing and from what I've found they aren't as functional

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a '94 GMC k1500 SLE so its got lots of cool stuff, roof controls, rear air, rear heat, fancy door panels, etc. Unfortunately it has leather seats which we hate, so found some cloth seat covers that fit very tight and look stock, much more comfortable and don't sweat as much. Comfortable for an 8 hour drive. The radio & cassette deck was starting to sound terrible and even though I liked the 5 band EQ, I replaced all of it with a Retrosound radio with Bluetooth, the controls replace the head up in the upper dash and the amp goes under the dash just like the stock one. Much better, not cheap though. I Like the upright rectangular gauge cluster with tach. It's all right there to monitor the engine. I added a transmission temp guage where the cassette deck was, the Retrosound amp is mounted there too. Got my trailer brake controller cut into the ash tray and a rear camera screen right below the guage cluster. I like the fact that the dash is set way forward toward the front of the truck cause it give us a lot of room to move around and set things on the floor. Makes the front seat area look huge.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't get me started on the aftermarket once they look like crap in my opinion period.
sadly I installed a set of app to market once on my truck. The answer is kind of class it up a bit.. But if it weren't for the butcher hack done to the stock ones I would try and get him recovered to be honest